Bank Deal: Earn 1.00% APY on an FDIC-insured savings account at Barclays Bank.
If you’re anything like me, you do a lot of online shopping. You might also be as impatient as I am. So, have you ever been tempted to pay for upgraded shipping at a site (such as Amazon.com) when their free shipping will do? I’m not talking about upgrading to overnight shipping because you need it the next day. I’m talking about simply going from the free “Super Saver” shipping (or whatever the site in question happens to call it) to the standard shipping that’s billed as being one notch better. Well, I’m here to tell you that you probably shouldn’t bother.
Merchants often go out of their way to scare you into the shipping upgrade, often quoting delivery times of 7-14 days when you select the Free Shipping option, whereas the standard option promises 3-5 days, or something similar. As it turns out, both options often go via the same carrier, and at the same level of service (e.g., UPS Ground) meaning that the only way ‘Free’ could be slower would be if the vendor chose to sit on your order for a few extra days. In my experience, they never do. And why would they? It’s just taking up space in their warehouse. So… While there are sometimes good reasons to pay extra for faster shipping (like when you absolutely, positively need the item the next day), do yourself a favor… The next time you feel the urge to bump your shipping from free to standard, expedited, or whatever they happen to call the next level, just sit tight. You’ll most likely get your stuff just as fast as if you had gone with the free option, and you’ll save yourself a few bucks while you’re at it.
- How to Become a Millionaire
- How to Get Out of Debt
- The Best Dollars I've Ever Spent
- How Our Estate Plan is Structured
- How We Paid Our Mortgage In Less than 10 Years
- Money Making Ideas
- How to Manage Your Asset Allocation with Multiple Accounts
- Consumption Smoothing - Save While the Saving's Good
- How to Save on Groceries
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need?
- Eleven Great Books About Money
- Dave Ramsey is Bad at Math (692)
- Dish Network Customer Service SUCKS (534)
- $8,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (429)
- Pay Off Mortgage Early or Invest? (424)
- How to Claim the First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit (352)
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor (325)
- How Much Should You Pay a Babysitter? (284)
- Ethanol Blended Gas = Lower Mileage? (272)
- Reduced Credit Limits? Share Your Experience (256)
- $15,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (242)
- Buying Furniture off the Back of a Truck (227)
- Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007? (191)