Free Access to Consumer Reports (and More)

I never make a major purchase decision without doing a bit of background research. Thus, I was pleased to learn awhile back that I could get free online access to ConsumerReports.org (as well as a large number of other publications) through my local library’s web site. As it turns out, many other public libraries do the same thing. In my case, I simply go to the library website, select “Online Resources,” login with my name and library card number, and then click to select the EBSCO MasterFILE (there are a number of other online reference databases available, as well). The only limitation is a 90-day embargo on content — in other words, the three most recent issues are unavailable. While it may take a bit of poking around to figure out how to do this in your area, it’s definitely worth checking out.

Published on July 18th, 2005 - 12 Comments
Filed under: Frugality,Online

1. Great tip! I’m a huge library user, but I didn’t know I could access so much stuff on-line. In the course of looking for this I also found that my library (in Seattle) has access to the O’Reilly Safari website which offers full-text versions of most of their tech books.

Thanks!

Comment by Anonymous — Jul 18th 2005 @ 1:29 pm
  2. My library also provides access to a “Library Edition” of Morningstar, which provides all of the screeners, reports and the Portfolio X-Ray, but no other content. Still, it’s a wonderful resource to be able to access for free.

Comment by Anonymous — Jul 18th 2005 @ 6:37 pm
  3. GREAT POST!!!! You just saved me $35 per year!!!!!

Comment by Anonymous — Jul 19th 2005 @ 7:50 am
  4. I noticed that I have access to it as well- thanks for the heads up

Comment by Anonymous — Jul 23rd 2005 @ 4:28 pm
  5. Hi,

Thanks for letting us know.

My blog readers will thank you.

Sincerely,
    Johncy Edward

Comment by Anonymous — Jul 25th 2005 @ 10:24 am
  6. Good idea. Thanks for the tip.

Comment by Anonymous — Jul 25th 2005 @ 4:36 pm
  7. Thanks for the reminder! Now, why didn’t I remember that? Glad you’re here.

Comment by Anonymous — Jun 7th 2010 @ 10:04 pm
  8. I am trying to enter my discount code (a9ak50yde2) to recive UNLIMITED ACESS to Consumer Report.org your comprehensive web site for one year at $1.00 per month.

Comment by Anonymous — Oct 28th 2010 @ 1:45 pm
  9. Great resource and savings!! I was able to pull up the current Consumer Report 2011. You do have to poke around a little but it works, Thank you

Comment by Anonymous — Nov 4th 2011 @ 3:34 pm
  10. I am a subscriber to your magazine for over 20 years
    and just received a startup discount code-
    what do I do with? nothing on your wedsite
    seem to refer to it.

In any case it is a fantastic magazine discount or
    no discount.

Comment by Anonymous — Dec 29th 2011 @ 11:01 am
  11. You, the home entrepreneur, needs to be more creative and much more ingenious
    with regards to keeping up with the interest in excellent customer service so that you will be able to satisfy the
    customer. Several skills and expertise that folks pay adequately for include home lessons, writing music or commercial jingles, ads, ghost
    writing, and affiliate campaigns. The method to gain that knowledge is usually to educate yourself on every facets of building a successful business while you can.

Comment by Anonymous — Apr 27th 2013 @ 6:38 pm
  12. iam a customer of consumer reports.i recieved a flyer on how to get consumer reportrs on line but your instrutions i followed will not give me access to sign up for this. you donot show a phone number for whatever reason to get help, please let me know how to get this. ihave a start up code but where and how do i enter it.

Comment by Anonymous — Sep 23rd 2014 @ 11:57 am