Bank Deal: Earn 1.00% APY on an FDIC-insured savings account at Barclays Bank.
It’s time for yet another installment of Money Magazine’s recommended money moves for 2006. Today it’s three tips related to your job…
(1) “Don’t ask for a big raise.” Instead of asking for a big raise, Money recommends asking for a bonus instead. I’ve actually heard that there is a growing trend toward rewarding high quality workers with bonues rather than raises, so you may be more likely to score some extra cash by following this advice. Then again, bonuses are here today, and gone tomorrow, so a raise would give you much more stability.
(2) “Get a better gig.” According to recruiters, the following fields will be hot in 2006 and beyond:
Retirement planning: Aging boomers need financial advisers and tax lawyers.
Health care: Constant change means work for benefit-plan administrators and information technology specialists.
Auditing: Increased scrutiny of corporate books requires more accountants.
So if you’re looking to make a switch, think about these fields. And if you’re already in one of these fields, now may be a good opportunity to negotiate a better deal for yourself.
(3) “Get an M.B.A. on the IRS.” There’s no better way to improve your lot in life than to improve your credentials. And a recent tax ruling means that you may be able to deduct the costs associated with earning an MBA. In short, you can deduct your tuition, but only if the degree “improves and enhances” your ability to perform the job that you already have. Note that you don’t have to stay at your current company to take advantage of this, but you’ll lost the tax break if you quit to go to school full time, or if you use your new MBA as a springboard for switching careers.
- How to Become a Millionaire
- How to Get Out of Debt
- The Best Dollars I've Ever Spent
- How Our Estate Plan is Structured
- How We Paid Our Mortgage In Less than 10 Years
- Money Making Ideas
- How to Manage Your Asset Allocation with Multiple Accounts
- Consumption Smoothing - Save While the Saving's Good
- How to Save on Groceries
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need?
- Eleven Great Books About Money
- Dave Ramsey is Bad at Math (693)
- Dish Network Customer Service SUCKS (536)
- $8,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (429)
- Pay Off Mortgage Early or Invest? (424)
- How to Claim the First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit (352)
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor (329)
- How Much Should You Pay a Babysitter? (288)
- Ethanol Blended Gas = Lower Mileage? (272)
- Reduced Credit Limits? Share Your Experience (256)
- $15,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (242)
- Buying Furniture off the Back of a Truck (237)
- Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007? (191)