Cyber Monday – Who Knew?

Hmmm… Cyber Monday has come and gone and I somehow managed to miss it. In case you’re wondering, Cyber Monday is (apparently) the online equivalent of Black Friday — the unofficial start of the holiday shopping season. What better time to sit down at your computer and shop than your first day back at work after a long, leisurely weekend? It’ll be interesting to see if this ends up catching on. Somehow, I don’t think so. While traffic at major web-based retailers was up 35% yesterday as compared to a typical Monday, I just can’t imagine that a designated online shopping day could generate the same sort of hype as Black Friday no matter how great the deals.

[Source: CNN/Money]

Published on November 29th, 2005 - 10 Comments
Filed under: Online

1. I’ve seen a lot of deals, but I didn’t buy anything online yesterday. Except for a recurring monthly charge that I had previously told the people I did not want to incur, so I have to fight with them over that now.

Comment by Anonymous — Nov 29th 2005 @ 7:18 am
  2. I didn’t really see much in the way of deals for “Cyber-Monday.” I heard about it on the news but vendors don’t seem to put the same push into as they do Black Friday…

Comment by Anonymous — Nov 29th 2005 @ 1:57 pm
  3. This name (Cyber Monday) was new to me as well — never heard of it. Did they just make it up this year?

Comment by Anonymous — Nov 29th 2005 @ 7:21 pm
  4. Yes, they just made it up 2 weeks ago. It was made up by Shopping Federation, I believe. It’s a affiliation of retailers.

Logically, it doesn’t make sense:
    1) The monday after a long weekend, people are just coming back to work. Most people do not have time to shop.
    2) As Cramer mentioned, many companies have blocking software to prevent you from shopping during office hours and/or doing personal stuff is discouraged in many offices.
    3) Online retailing is a different breed than B&M retrailers. Unlike B&M, online retailers are open 24/7. After a long weekend of shopping, there is no reason that people will log on to shop some more. More likely, I can see online sales increase the week before Christmas.

Either way, if we learned anything from the gold mining days, the people that are going to profit are going to be the people that support the online retailer business, ie UPS/Fedex.

Comment by Anonymous — Nov 30th 2005 @ 8:23 am
  5. It worked for me. Dell was sending out emails about their Cyber Monday sales and I ended up getting a $969 laptop for $559. I think this will take off because it’s much easier to shop at home, rather than having to get up at 4AM and wait in line. But I agree, the choice of Monday after Thanksgiving is not that great, I wish it was another day.

Comment by Anonymous — Dec 4th 2007 @ 12:04 pm
  6. Am I missing something here? You state that cyber Monday has come and gone and you missed it. Since today is Monday how did you miss it?

Comment by Anonymous — Dec 1st 2008 @ 10:46 am
  7. Dave: This article was published three years ago (11/29/2005).

Comment by Nickel — Dec 1st 2008 @ 12:18 pm
  8. Just curious; why is a 3 year old article being put out as being written today?

Comment by Anonymous — Dec 1st 2008 @ 12:30 pm
  9. Just closing the loop on this for the sake of anyone else reading along… Apparently this article got picked up and sent out with the daily e-mail. I’m still not sure why, but I’ll investigate.

Comment by Nickel — Dec 1st 2008 @ 12:46 pm
  10. Your still doing a great job keeping the site up and interesting! Keep up the good work. I know this is no easy task to keep on top of everything.

Comment by Anonymous — Dec 1st 2008 @ 12:53 pm