Bank Deal: Earn 1.00% APY on an FDIC-insured savings account at Barclays Bank.
Here’s the second installment of tax breaks that you don’t want to miss…
Didn’t make much last year? Take advantage of the saver’s credit.
Low-income taxpayers may receive a credit (a dollar-for-dollar reduction of the taxes they owe) for 50 percent of their contributions up to $2,000 to qualified retirement savings plans such as 401(k)s, 403(b)s as well as IRAs.
If you qualify (AGI of less than $25K for individuals, $50K for couples), this is a great savings incentive. You’ll not only reduced your tax burden by contributing to a taax-deductible account, but you’ll also end up earning a credit that will further reduce your tax bill. Also keep in mind that you can make 2005 IRA contributions all the way up to April 15th, 2006.
You don’t need gains to make the most of your losses.
Many investors know they can use their stock losses to offset the taxes they owe on their stock gains in a given tax year. If the losses exceed the gains they can use up to $3,000 in losses to offset ordinary income.
But you don’t have to have gains to write off losses up to $3,000 of income if you had a holding that became worthless in 2005.
I’m pleased to report that this one won’t be of any use to our family, as we didn’t have any investments that became worthless in 2005. But if you did, this could help soften the blow.
- How to Become a Millionaire
- How to Get Out of Debt
- The Best Dollars I've Ever Spent
- How Our Estate Plan is Structured
- How We Paid Our Mortgage In Less than 10 Years
- Money Making Ideas
- How to Manage Your Asset Allocation with Multiple Accounts
- Consumption Smoothing - Save While the Saving's Good
- How to Save on Groceries
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need?
- Eleven Great Books About Money
- Dave Ramsey is Bad at Math (692)
- Dish Network Customer Service SUCKS (534)
- $8,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (429)
- Pay Off Mortgage Early or Invest? (424)
- How to Claim the First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit (352)
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor (325)
- How Much Should You Pay a Babysitter? (284)
- Ethanol Blended Gas = Lower Mileage? (272)
- Reduced Credit Limits? Share Your Experience (256)
- $15,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (242)
- Buying Furniture off the Back of a Truck (228)
- Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007? (191)