Howard Stern is Underpaid

I just ran across an article that talks about how much money Howard Stern makes from his gig with Sirius Satellite Radio… $93,000 per hour! But do you want to know what’s really amazing? That’s just a tiny fraction of the $705,000 that Oprah Winfrey will take home for an hour of work under her agreement with XM Radio. To be fair, Stern works a heck of a lot more hours (4 hours/day, 5 days/week) than Oprah (a weekly half hour show), so his annual take is considerably higher. But when you break it down to an hourly wage, poor little Howard takes in just over 10% of what Oprah earns.

[Source: MSN/Money]

Published on February 28th, 2006 - 18 Comments
Filed under: Working

1. Yeah, but if the Big O advertises it on her TV show, she may be worth it!!

Comment by Anonymous — Feb 28th 2006 @ 12:27 pm
  2. That sick pervert makes $93,000 an hour, while many families of our lower ranking military members need food stamps to get by. Our enemies don’t need terrorism to destroy us, we are rotting from within!

Comment by Anonymous — Feb 28th 2006 @ 12:35 pm
  3. “That sick pervert makes $93,000 an hour, while many families of our lower ranking military members need food stamps to get by.”

Oh please. This is America. Land of opportunity. There are very few Howard Stern’s and Oprah’s in the world. But thousands, in America alone, that live on food stamps. The problem isn’t Stern or Winfrey, it’s the thousands who decide that the only way to get by is with food stamps.

“But when you break it down to an hourly wage, poor little Howard takes in just over 10% of what Oprah earns.”

Poor little Howard nothing. Oprah’s been around much longer and has a larger number of followers. All the numbers mean is the one is more in demand than the other. Simple economics.

Comment by Anonymous — Feb 28th 2006 @ 12:52 pm
  4. I thank God that there are “very few Howard Stern’s”.

And somehow I doubt ANYONE could “get by” on JUST food stamps. Food stamps don’t pay the bills or rent.

Comment by Anonymous — Feb 28th 2006 @ 1:25 pm
  5. “My POINT was that it is just a sad commentary on our country when a man like him is paid so much , while as an example the members of the military, or even teachers and police officers are make so little in comparison.”
    Is it truly sad? Not that teachers, armed forces, and police officers shouldn’t make more, because I think they should. But, in order for these guys to make more, the typical American citizen has to pay more taxes because they’re usually locally or federally funded positions.

Still, what makes this country great is that anyone has the opportunity to be the next Stern or Winfrey. When you get into the whole “it’s not fair” discussion, you walk a fine line between democracy and socialism. Economically, one works the other doesn’t.

Comment by Anonymous — Feb 28th 2006 @ 2:12 pm
  6. Keep in mind that Stern’s $150 million a year is not his salary, but a lump sum that Sirius is paying him for his show. The cash must handle all his operating expenses as well. The show likely has very little overhead compared to, say, a television talk show, but the overhead may be a significant percentage of his $150M. Anyone care to estimate?

Comment by Anonymous — Feb 28th 2006 @ 7:25 pm
  7. Funny how SkyeBlue complains that Howard makes that much, low income families, blah blah blah.

But not a mention of Oprah.

Comment by Anonymous — Feb 28th 2006 @ 9:31 pm
  8. “Funny how SkyeBlue complains that Howard makes that much, low income families, blah blah blah.

But not a mention of Oprah. ”

Well, I personally don’t care who makes what or who doesn’t make what. I only care about what I make and taking care of my family.

I don’t think SkyeBlue’s comments are aimed just at Stern. I think it was just a general observation.

Comment by Anonymous — Feb 28th 2006 @ 10:28 pm
  9. I wouldn’t mind making Howard Sterns’ salary. Besides, it would help feeding these 7 dwarves…LOL!

I can’t fathom these large amounts of money. When I hear how much Donald Trump, the Walmart family and the Tom at Myspace make…my head reels!

Comment by Anonymous — Mar 1st 2006 @ 1:34 pm
  10. Thanks Emma, I WAS just making a general observation.

I haven’t seen much of Oprah’s shows the past few years but I have read that she is very, very generous with her money, especially in helping the children of Africa.

See, that is the joy of living in a country where we have free speech! I can say Howard Stern is disgusting, and yuo have the freedom to disagree with me!

Comment by Anonymous — Mar 1st 2006 @ 2:53 pm
  11. I don’t think that Howard is awful at all…but in general it does disgust me how much all these high-paid people make. Athletes, actors, executives, etc all make waaay too much in my opinion. The difference between what “normal” people make and these people is ridiculous.

Comment by Anonymous — Mar 2nd 2006 @ 2:42 pm
  12. “Poor little Howard nothing. Oprah’s been around much longer and has a larger number of followers. All the numbers mean is the one is more in demand than the other. Simple economics”

Howard has been around a hell of a lot longer than oprah…. retard

Comment by Anonymous — Mar 22nd 2006 @ 9:26 pm
  13. The market payes for their services. They do not live on tax payers. So you decide to pay athletets and other entertainers less than the NBA owners make a lot more money and the big film studios increase their profits. The money they;re making is not gonna go to the poor if they make less. Its gonna go into another rich mans pocket.

Comment by Anonymous — May 31st 2006 @ 8:31 pm
  14. Every one has the chance to make that kind of money in life. Its just who wants it more. Good job Howard.

Comment by Anonymous — Mar 23rd 2007 @ 2:56 am
  15. “Every one has the chance to make that kind of money in life. Its just who wants it more. Good job Howard.”

BULLSHIT. Very few have the chance to make that kind of money. Why? Because if there are as many people have the chance to make that kind of money as you think there are, then the market value would be very low for anyone who does make good on the chance.

Furthermore, it’s not really about “who wants it more”. It comes down to talent, a hell of a lot of luck, and WHO YOU KNOW. Oh, and in come cases, genetics. Did you know that taller people make more money than their shorter counterparts? Look it up. I’m sure those short folks don’t really “want it”. (rolls eyes)

Comment by Anonymous — Sep 23rd 2007 @ 5:33 pm