Bank Deal: Earn 1.00% APY on an FDIC-insured savings account at Barclays Bank.
I’ve written in the past about the accuracy (or not) of EPA gas mileage estimates, and I also chronicled our purchase of a 2005 Honda CR-V (LX, 2WD). Being a bit of a stats freak, I thought that it might be interesting to take a look at how well this car does relative to the EPA estimates.
The EPA numbers for a Honda CR-V LX with 2WD are 29 mpg for highway driving, and 24 mpg in the city. So how do the real world numbers compare?
Well, on a recent roadtrip (ca. 90% highway, 10% city) I averaged around 25.6 mpg. In contrast, my ‘typical’ driving (more like 50%/50%) nets me around 21.1 mpg. Note that these numbers reflect cool-season driving, so there’s little or no air conditioning involved. If we scale the EPA numbers accordingly, I should have gotten somewhere around 28.5 mpg on the roadtrip and 26.5 during typical driving. In other words, my real world experience with this car was around 10% low on the roadtrip, and around 20% low otherwise. Not a huge surprise here, as the EPA numbers often turn out to be over-estimates. But my numbers aren’t nearly as bad as Consumer Reports suggested they would be (CR says to discount conventional car and truck mileage estimates by 30% when shopping for a car). Then again, heavy use of the AC during the summer would certainly have a negative impact on mileage.
- How to Become a Millionaire
- How to Get Out of Debt
- The Best Dollars I've Ever Spent
- How Our Estate Plan is Structured
- How We Paid Our Mortgage In Less than 10 Years
- Money Making Ideas
- How to Manage Your Asset Allocation with Multiple Accounts
- Consumption Smoothing - Save While the Saving's Good
- How to Save on Groceries
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need?
- Eleven Great Books About Money
- Dave Ramsey is Bad at Math (692)
- Dish Network Customer Service SUCKS (534)
- $8,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (429)
- Pay Off Mortgage Early or Invest? (424)
- How to Claim the First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit (352)
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor (325)
- How Much Should You Pay a Babysitter? (284)
- Ethanol Blended Gas = Lower Mileage? (272)
- Reduced Credit Limits? Share Your Experience (256)
- $15,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (242)
- Buying Furniture off the Back of a Truck (228)
- Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007? (191)