Bank Deal: Earn 1.00% APY on an FDIC-insured savings account at Barclays Bank.
As many of you know, I manage my RSS feed through FeedBurner. As you may or may not know, FeedBurner has recently developed a mechanism for monetizing RSS feeds by placing ads at the end of posts within your feed. This program is in the process of being rolled out, and participation is currently by invitation only.
Well, last night I learned that I had been invited to participate, so I signed up to see what it was all about. Not long ago I received a welcome e-mail, and shortly thereafter I received two messages about ads being available for my feed… The problem was that, while one of these messages was meant for me, the other was clearly intended to go to Jim of pfBlueprint.
When I contacted Jim about this glitch, I learned that FeedBurner is having trouble keeping their publishers straight. In fact, he told me that when he logged in, MY payment information (including things like my social security number) came up in HIS account. Nice. Really nice. FeedBurner has now officially shared my sensitive personal information with at least one other person. Fortunately, I know and trust Jim, and I’m not particularly worried that he’ll try to steal my identity. That being said, I’m still more than a little bit pissed off right now. And I’m still not sure how many other people got this information.
After reporting this to FeedBurner I received a prompt reply thanking me for my patience while they look further into this matter. Guess what? I’m not feeling particularly patient right now.
Update: It’s still not clear what happened, but apparently it’s a glitch in the FeedBurner system, as the signup process is totally automated — thus, there’s no room for a simple data transposition. The only thing that Jim and I have in common (aside from our stunningly good looks and the fact that we run two of the best personal finance blogs in existence ;)) is that we both signed for the FeedBurner Advertising Network at roughly the same time last night. I should also note that the folks at FeedBurner have been very responsive and are working hard to sort out what went wrong.
- How to Become a Millionaire
- How to Get Out of Debt
- The Best Dollars I've Ever Spent
- How Our Estate Plan is Structured
- How We Paid Our Mortgage In Less than 10 Years
- Money Making Ideas
- How to Manage Your Asset Allocation with Multiple Accounts
- Consumption Smoothing - Save While the Saving's Good
- How to Save on Groceries
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need?
- Eleven Great Books About Money
- Dave Ramsey is Bad at Math (693)
- Dish Network Customer Service SUCKS (536)
- $8,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (429)
- Pay Off Mortgage Early or Invest? (424)
- How to Claim the First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit (352)
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor (329)
- How Much Should You Pay a Babysitter? (286)
- Ethanol Blended Gas = Lower Mileage? (272)
- Reduced Credit Limits? Share Your Experience (256)
- $15,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (242)
- Buying Furniture off the Back of a Truck (236)
- Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007? (191)