Bank Deal: Earn 1.00% APY on an FDIC-insured savings account at Barclays Bank.
Given that our new house has a much bigger lawn than our old one did, we need to figure out how we’re going to handle lawncare. The lawn is big enough that we’re not willing to cut it with our walk-behind mower (which is a bummer, because we bought a nice one a year or two ago). That leaves us with two options: (1) buy a lawn tractor, or (2) hire a lawn service.
We’ve gone out and priced decent lawn tractors, and it looks like that route would set us back around $1500. In terms of hiring a lawn service, the first (and only, so far) quote that we’ve received has been for $50/cutting (includes trimming and cleanup with a blower). We’re waiting on a few more estimates, but I’m trying to figure out the tipping point.
On the one hand, we’d save money in the long term with a lawn tractor — given the above numbers, the break even point (ignoring maintenance, time spent mowing, and gas) is right around 30 mowings. That works out to about two years, after which we’d come out ahead.
On the other hand, it’s a much bigger upfront investment (though we can easily handle it as a cash transaction), and we’d also have to house it — when you think about how much real estate costs these days, you begin to realize that floor space (even in a garage) isn’t free. So… Does anyone have any thoughts on the issue? If so, please leave a comment.
For more information on moving, check out my Roadmap for a Successful Relocation.
- How to Become a Millionaire
- How to Get Out of Debt
- The Best Dollars I've Ever Spent
- How Our Estate Plan is Structured
- How We Paid Our Mortgage In Less than 10 Years
- Money Making Ideas
- How to Manage Your Asset Allocation with Multiple Accounts
- Consumption Smoothing - Save While the Saving's Good
- How to Save on Groceries
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need?
- Eleven Great Books About Money
- Dave Ramsey is Bad at Math (692)
- Dish Network Customer Service SUCKS (535)
- $8,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (429)
- Pay Off Mortgage Early or Invest? (424)
- How to Claim the First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit (352)
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor (326)
- How Much Should You Pay a Babysitter? (284)
- Ethanol Blended Gas = Lower Mileage? (272)
- Reduced Credit Limits? Share Your Experience (256)
- $15,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (242)
- Buying Furniture off the Back of a Truck (230)
- Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007? (191)