Bank Deal: Earn 1.00% APY on an FDIC-insured savings account at Barclays Bank.
Here’s a list of five tips for saving money by saving energy (and thereby saving the planet). Pretty standard stuff (except for the last one), but this is a topic that’s near and dear to my heart (as evidenced by my recent posts on reducing our electrical usage), so I’m covering it anyway.
(1) Switch to compact fluorescent (CF) light bulbs. Been there and done that – I’ve been swapping out the bulbs in our new house to reduce both electrical consumption and the attendant heat load that incandescent bulbs produce. It’s a win-win proposition.
(2) Before buying an appliance, consult the FTC’s Appliance Energy Database. Buying smart (i.e., selecting an energy efficient appliance) can save you a good bit of money, and your decision will pay dividends for years to come.
(3) Fix the fridge. If you can close the refrigerator door on a dollar bill and then easily pull it out, you need a tighter seal. The economics of this one are actually somewhat questionable, as the estimated cost savings is only around $15/year.
(4) Drive nicer. Jackrabbit starts and jamming on your brakes can reduce your gas mileage by 5 percent around town and 33 percent at highway speeds. Also keep an eye on the speed limit, as speeding can reduce you gas mileage.
(5) Buy a Human Power Generator MkIII. This one is only for the hard-core energy savers amongst you… It’s a stationary bike/generator. Not only can it save money off your electric bill, but it can also save money on a gym membership. To be honest, this sort of thing might be one of the best motivators out there for me when it comes to exercise… It’s like a game — see how low of an electric bill you can get by generating your own power.
- How to Become a Millionaire
- How to Get Out of Debt
- The Best Dollars I've Ever Spent
- How Our Estate Plan is Structured
- How We Paid Our Mortgage In Less than 10 Years
- Money Making Ideas
- How to Manage Your Asset Allocation with Multiple Accounts
- Consumption Smoothing - Save While the Saving's Good
- How to Save on Groceries
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need?
- Eleven Great Books About Money
- Dave Ramsey is Bad at Math (692)
- Dish Network Customer Service SUCKS (534)
- $8,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (429)
- Pay Off Mortgage Early or Invest? (424)
- How to Claim the First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit (352)
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor (325)
- How Much Should You Pay a Babysitter? (284)
- Ethanol Blended Gas = Lower Mileage? (272)
- Reduced Credit Limits? Share Your Experience (256)
- $15,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (242)
- Buying Furniture off the Back of a Truck (227)
- Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007? (191)