Bank Deal: Earn 1.00% APY on an FDIC-insured savings account at Barclays Bank.
Here’s a slightly different twist on the typical identity theft story… A guy by the name of Jason Smith who lives in Danielsville, GA recently contacted the IRS to find out why his $600 tax refund hadn’t arrived only to learn that they were waiting for him to pay $12k in back taxes.
When Smith requested a copy of his work history, he discovered that the government believed that he was working two jobs — his regular job plus another job at a nearby chicken plant. As it turns out, an illegal immigrant named Nohe Gomez Hernandez had used Smith’s social security number to get a job at the chicken plant, and this apparent second job forced Smith into a higher tax bracket, thereby generating the income tax shortfall.
As an interesting aside, Hernandez’s attorney is arguing that he shouldn’t be prosecuted under Georgia’s identity theft law since he didn’t use the information to pilfer Smith’s bank account or rack up credit cards charges. Rather, he used Smith’s social security numebr solely to secure a job. Not surprisingly, the prosecution disagrees.
[Source: Access North Georgia]
- How to Become a Millionaire
- How to Get Out of Debt
- The Best Dollars I've Ever Spent
- How Our Estate Plan is Structured
- How We Paid Our Mortgage In Less than 10 Years
- Money Making Ideas
- How to Manage Your Asset Allocation with Multiple Accounts
- Consumption Smoothing - Save While the Saving's Good
- How to Save on Groceries
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need?
- Eleven Great Books About Money
- Dave Ramsey is Bad at Math (692)
- Dish Network Customer Service SUCKS (534)
- $8,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (429)
- Pay Off Mortgage Early or Invest? (424)
- How to Claim the First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit (352)
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor (325)
- How Much Should You Pay a Babysitter? (284)
- Ethanol Blended Gas = Lower Mileage? (272)
- Reduced Credit Limits? Share Your Experience (256)
- $15,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (242)
- Buying Furniture off the Back of a Truck (227)
- Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007? (191)