Sam’s Club Now Accepting MasterCard

I was at Sam’s Club this past weekend when I discovered that they now accept MasterCard credit cards. Sure enough, when I got home I started poking around online and learned that Sam’s started accepting MasterCard credit cards at 589 retail locations throughout the United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico this past Thursday.

To date, the only credit options at Sam’s Club have been Discover Card or a Sam’s credit line — we’ve been using the latter. But now we can start using our Citi Driver’s Edge Card and earning rewards. Yes, I realize that Discover pays cash back, but Discover and I had a falling out some time ago — but that’s another post for another day.

Published on November 14th, 2006 - 6 Comments
Filed under: Credit Cards

1. I hope this is a wakeup call to Costco.

Comment by Anonymous — Nov 14th 2006 @ 6:22 pm
  2. Hmm, I wonder what their merchant classification is. Will I get 5% back for using a 5% back at supermarket card like the Chase Cash Plus Rewards MasterCard?

Comment by Anonymous — Nov 14th 2006 @ 6:42 pm
  3. This is great news. It has always been one thing I hated about Sam’s. Love the store, but since I don’t and won’t use Discover, it has been a pain to use cash or check.

Comment by Anonymous — Nov 14th 2006 @ 8:18 pm
  4. Costco takes american express which isn’t mastercard or visa, but if you’re like me and was a stupid college student, you probably have AmEx and Discover anyway.

Comment by Anonymous — Nov 15th 2006 @ 12:29 pm
  5. I’m curious:Why all the angst about Discover? I’ve had my card for 15 years now and always gotten great service from them.
    Am I missing something, or just lucky so far?

Comment by Anonymous — Nov 15th 2006 @ 11:58 pm
  6. This is great news except that all it will mean is that their prices will go up 2 – 5%.

Do you think Costco will follow suit?

Comment by Anonymous — Nov 20th 2006 @ 6:15 pm