Bank Deal: Earn 1.00% APY on an FDIC-insured savings account at Barclays Bank.
Editor’s Note: These offers expired and are no longer available.
Every year around this time I start re-evaluating our reward credit cards… After all, the holiday shopping season often brings new credit card promos. For example, two years ago Citi was running some really nice November promos, and we got a great deal with the Citi AT&T Universal MasterCard and the Citi Driver’s Edge MasterCard. For both cards, we got a nine month stretch of 5% rewards on every single purchase that we made. After that, it reverted to 5% on gas, grocery and drugstore purchases and 1% on all else. But we ripped through the reward limits — $300 on the AT&T card, and $500 (at the time, now $1000) on the Driver’s Edge card — before moving on to another 5%/1% reward card, the Citi Dividend Platinum MasterCard. All in all, this has been a fairly profitable thing for us, with the majority of our free money in 2005 (nearly $1800) coming from credit card rewards. So where do we currently stand?
Well, right now we have two main cards, as well as a backup. Unfortunately, Citi ‘downgraded’ the AT&T Universal card from a cash rewards card to a ‘Thank You Redemption’s card. Thus, while you can still earn a decent reward, you have to cash it in for store gift cards as opposed to straight up money.
Our two main cards are:
Citi Dividend Platinum MasterCard
Citi Driver’s Edge MasterCard
Note that both of these cards can also be used in the Citi Thank You Redemption network.
So in the final analysis, it looks like the Driver’s Edge card is currently the best out of these options.
- How to Become a Millionaire
- How to Get Out of Debt
- The Best Dollars I've Ever Spent
- How Our Estate Plan is Structured
- How We Paid Our Mortgage In Less than 10 Years
- Money Making Ideas
- How to Manage Your Asset Allocation with Multiple Accounts
- Consumption Smoothing - Save While the Saving's Good
- How to Save on Groceries
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need?
- Eleven Great Books About Money
- Dave Ramsey is Bad at Math (692)
- Dish Network Customer Service SUCKS (535)
- $8,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (429)
- Pay Off Mortgage Early or Invest? (424)
- How to Claim the First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit (352)
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor (326)
- How Much Should You Pay a Babysitter? (284)
- Ethanol Blended Gas = Lower Mileage? (272)
- Reduced Credit Limits? Share Your Experience (256)
- $15,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (242)
- Buying Furniture off the Back of a Truck (230)
- Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007? (191)