Weekly Roundup – 12/08/06

Here’s a quick look at some of the personal finance articles that caught my eye over the past week.

JLP warns against getting sucked into the minimum payment trap.

Flexo has a rundown of rebate credit cards.

MBH sold his soul (and his phone number) for some cheap silver.

FMF has some tax planning tips for 2006.

Jim is working all the angles to get a great deal on Comcast cable.

Trent shares how he’s modified the Debt Snowball approach to his advantage.

Finally, David at My Two Dollars pointed out that your frequent flyer miles might be expiring on December 31, and guess what? I just checked and he saved our bacon. My wife hasn’t flown Delta in quite some time, and we were about to lose all her miles. Now I guess we need to buy some miles ($29.95 for 1000) to stave off the expiration.

That’s it for this week.

Published on December 9th, 2006 - 6 Comments
Filed under: Link Love

1. Glad to be of service…I dont know about you guys, but I can NEVER get a free ticket on you ever have any luck?

Comment by Anonymous — Dec 9th 2006 @ 11:31 pm
  2. I haven’t tried recently, so I’m not sure… But I’ve never had much trouble with other airlines in the past. I fly Delta enough that my own miles will pretty much never expire.

Comment by Nickel — Dec 9th 2006 @ 11:33 pm
  3. No need to buy miles, if you register your card at SkyMiles and go to one of their participating restaurants you can buy a drink or something cheap and it will accrue you miles. Check it out –

I don’t fly Delta enough, so I use my miles for magazines. Deals start at 400 miles. I think the Economist subscription is a great deal.

Comment by Anonymous — Dec 10th 2006 @ 10:39 am
  4. My wife actually earned a few bonus miles recently and it didn’t reset her expiration date. Thus, I figured that it has to be actual travel to reset the clock. Am I mistaken?

Comment by Nickel — Dec 10th 2006 @ 10:50 am
  5. I was told by the Delta rep that you had to either buy miles or take a trip..unless of course she was lying and made me buy miles. I saw that you could use a card and buy something cheap too, but that did not reset my miles either along the way.

Comment by Anonymous — Dec 10th 2006 @ 12:52 pm
  6. My miles with Delta was going to expire on Dec. 31, 2006. So I signed up my credit card and ate at a restaurant. I got 22 miles and now my Skymiles account says it will expire on Dec. 31, 2008. But I think it took two weeks to post so it might be cutting it close.

Comment by Anonymous — Dec 10th 2006 @ 10:04 pm