Applying for a Business Credit Card

Editor’s Note:  These offers expired and are no longer available.

Continuing along the path toward the separation of our business and personal finances, we have are now the proud new owners of a business credit card. I previously posted a list of business credit cards with signup bonuses, and that’s where we started.

We first applied for (and received) the Amex Business Gold Rewards Card. While this card has an annual fee after the first year, it also came with a signup bonuses.

Our choice for the longer term is the CitiBusiness ThankYou Card which not only offers rewards, but also has no annual fee.

There are, of course, other options out there, these are just two examples.

Truth be told, we don’t really need a business credit card, but having one will make the bookkeeping a bit easier (anything charged to that card will be a business expense, so we won’t have to sort through expenditures at tax time). It also helps with the substantiating the independence of our business endeavors, which is important when it comes to maintaining the liability protection offered by an LLC.

Published on February 14th, 2007 - 9 Comments
Filed under: Credit Cards,Self Employment

1. What about interest rates? You should find if there’s a ‘savings agent’ for small business cards

Comment by Anonymous — Feb 14th 2007 @ 2:04 pm
  2. Steve: Good question, and I have no idea. We never carry a balance, so the interest rate is a complete non-issue for us.

Comment by Nickel — Feb 14th 2007 @ 2:22 pm
  3. Question: Does the “business” credit card impact your credit? I always assumed that they did, but obviously I’m not sure. Thanks! Wes

Comment by Anonymous — Feb 14th 2007 @ 4:03 pm
  4. This is the strategy I use for my business. It is really easy to just charge everything on the one card and maybe once a month, just import the expenses in quickbooks to record.

p.s. great blog, i just started mine and hope it can be half as good!

Comment by Anonymous — Feb 17th 2007 @ 9:51 pm
  5. Not that you would have a problem with making payments on time, but be careful with your “business” card. When you are current and nothing is wrong with your credit with them, your card is treated like a separate entity.

But the moment you slip up and make a late payment or miss a payment, the personal guarantee you agreed to when signing up for the business card will make this line go on your personal record.

I had problems with this in the past. Mine was even a full blown corporation and I got a business card with the corporate EIN. I had assumed it was all going towards the business credit and not my own.

Anyway, business got tough and the company couldn’t make a couple full payments and before you know it this account was showing up on my personal credit report and severely impacted my credit. Beyond that the business did need to close and I was personally responsible for a large chunk of debt.

I know in your situation this won’t likely apply, but just a warning to people about the true workings of a business credit card. 99.9% of business cards you apply for are basically personal cards that will use your business tax ID until you mess up, which then revert to you thanks to the personal guarantee you agreed to when signing up (it is in the very fine print).

Obtaining true business credit without a personal guarantee can take a few years of building actual business credit that is reported to agencies such as Dun & Bradstreet before a credit card company will ever consider lending to you without the guarantee.

So for anyone considering getting business credit, just be careful and treat it like personal debt and you’ll be fine. Don’t assume that a late business payment won’t affect you because it is a business card 🙂

Comment by Anonymous — Mar 1st 2007 @ 9:44 am
  6. Jeremy, thanks for the info. I did not know that it would ‘move over’ to the personal line of credit. I have a business card that is ‘applied for’ using my name and credit – and now I will keep a closer eye on it.

Comment by Anonymous — Mar 3rd 2007 @ 7:28 pm
  7. I believe everything composed was very logical. However, think about this, what if
    you were to write a awesome headline? I ain’t saying your content is not solid, however what if you added a title that grabbed folk’s attention?

I mean Applying for a Business Credit Card is a little vanilla.
    You might peek at Yahoo’s home page and note how they write post titles to get people to open the links. You might add a related video or a related picture or two to grab readers interested about everything’ve got to say.

Just my opinion, it would bring your posts a little livelier.

Comment by Anonymous — Apr 20th 2013 @ 6:43 pm
  8. Aw, this was a really nice post. Spending some time and actual
    effort to generate a really good article… but what can I say… I
    procrastinate a whole lot and don’t seem to get anything done.

Comment by Anonymous — Apr 20th 2013 @ 9:30 pm
  9. I do agree with all of the concepts you’ve offered on your post. They’re really
    convincing and can certainly work. Nonetheless,
    the posts are too short for novices. May you please prolong
    them a bit from subsequent time? Thanks for the post.

Comment by Anonymous — May 8th 2013 @ 6:13 am