How Movie Theaters Make Money

I’ve been planning on writing about this ever since I ran a poll on whether or not you sneak food or drinks into the movie theater, but I never got around to it. However, we recently went to Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End (or P3 as my oldest son likes to call it) and that got me to thinking about it once again…

Have you ever wondered how theaters make money? Well, according to a slightly dated article from CNN/Money:

“Most of the money from ticket sales goes back to the movie studio… During the film’s opening week, the studio might take 70 to 80 percent of gross box office sales. By the fifth or sixth week, the percentage the studio takes will likely shrink to about 35 percent.”

Of course, studios also pay theaters to run trailers (generally on a per head basis), and the ads that are shown on the screen before the movie (or mixed in with the trailers) are another source of income. But according to Howard Edelman, owner of Movieland Cinemas:

“Owners joke about being in the candy business. If you didn’t have concessions at a movie theater, there would be no movie theater. We have movies just to get people in to buy popcorn and candy, where we make our money.”

In fact, concessions are so profitable that outside companies will sometimes pay an up-front fee for the privilege of running the concession stand and splitting the profits with the theater owner.

So does this change my view of sneaking snacks into the theater? Not really. The day we went to see P3, the theater was well over half empty. Even if the owners were getting a small cut, say 20-30% of the ticket prices, they still pocketed $6-$9 from our $30 matinee ticket purchase (plus a bit of extra cash from having a few additional butts in the seats for the trailers). Had we skipped the theater, they still wouldn’t have sold any additional concessions, our seats would have been empty, and they would’ve ended up missing out the ticket revenue entirely.

Am I rationalizing? Sure, I guess you could say that. Could we have simply skipped the snack? Yep, but we rarely go to the theater, and when we do we like to live it up a bit. Besides, it’s not like theaters have a plethora of healthy snack choices at the concession stand. In the end, I view it as a win-win situation.

Published on June 11th, 2007 - 38 Comments
Filed under: Miscellany

1. I bet they make most of their money from selling concessions, but those pre-movie things have to be profitable.

Before the movie ‘start time’ there is a 20 minute advertisement from a television network for their upcoming shows or artists. Once the start time passes, we are given 10-15 minutes of commercials from various companies, then another 15-20 minutes of movie trailers from the studios. Given a seating capacity of 200-300, with all eyes focused on these ads, it has to be generating some good revenue!

Another thing I noticed was the theaters are starting to rent out their screens to companies to put on presentations. I wonder if the get-rich-quick and pyramid scheme folks use this quite a bit?

Comment by Anonymous — Jun 11th 2007 @ 12:41 pm
  2. My current problem with movie theater snacks is that there isn’t a single thing that is “orthodontia friendly.”
    Popcorn, Twizzlers, Milk Duds, Skittles, etc etc will all pull off a band in no time (ask me how I know!) πŸ˜‰
    Sometimes I have to sneak in a snack just so my kids can eat something!

Comment by Anonymous — Jun 11th 2007 @ 1:25 pm
  3. If milk duds weren’t $6 a box at the movie theater, i’d buy them there. I understand the need for some sort of markup but that’s freaking ridiculous.

Comment by Anonymous — Jun 11th 2007 @ 1:56 pm
  4. If the theater owner knew that you were going to bring in your own candy, would they still sell you the ticket?

Is there any notice posted prohibiting outside food or drinks?

Is there a policy stated on the ticket that you can’t bring your own snacks or refreshments?

If the answer to any of these questions is “yes”, then when you sneak food into the theater you are at best a liar and at worst a thief.

Comment by Anonymous — Jun 11th 2007 @ 2:01 pm
  5. One thing I refuse to buy is soda.
    They cost pennies to restaurantes and they charge sometimes more than $1 for a 16oz soda.

Doesn’t seem a lot, but I just don’t like the idea of businesses taking advantage of me.

Comment by Anonymous — Jun 11th 2007 @ 2:27 pm
  6. Actually, Charles, you are neither lying nor stealing in those cases. The best you could argue under such circumstances would be trespassing.

Comment by Nickel — Jun 11th 2007 @ 2:31 pm
  7. Where I live, you can bring food into the theare, and it is a large AMC 20! I have seen people walk in with Starbucks, Pizzas, and Ruby Tuesday takeout bags!

Comment by Anonymous — Jun 11th 2007 @ 2:40 pm
  8. I always bring drinks into a theater. No way am I paying $4 for a coke.

Comment by Anonymous — Jun 11th 2007 @ 3:27 pm
  9. If they provided healthy options, I would probably consider buying food from the concessions. Until that happens, my rule is that I won’t bring in anything that they sell.

It may be inethical, but movie theatres have a monopoly on the movies and shouldn’t be able to leverage that monopoly into other areas such as concessions.

Comment by Anonymous — Jun 11th 2007 @ 4:50 pm
  10. This is also true at the Circus. There was a story that in 1974 the Feld family sold their shares of Ringling to Mattel Corporation for $50 million but kept the concession rights. In 1978 they bought back the circus for 8 million dollars. It turns out that the circus ticket sales barely pay for the costs of running the circus. The money is all in the concessions. In fact, when you are too old to be a tiger tamer, they reward you by giving you a piece of the concession, and you end up making more selling cotton candy than you do taming tigers!

Comment by Anonymous — Jun 11th 2007 @ 4:55 pm
  11. I understand that theaters owners have to make money, but do they really have to put 25 minutes of ads before the preview? Worst than that, when I saw Spidey 3, they put a boring music clip of some French signer. I rather pay $5 for a Coke than seeing those atrocities πŸ˜‰
    FB.

Comment by Anonymous — Jun 11th 2007 @ 8:29 pm
  12. Where we used to live, there was a coldstone’s ice cream next door and a starbucks. EVERYONE, including myself would go to a night movie and walk in with ice cream or a starbucks coffe. The concessions people still bought but most people walked in with ice cream. The people working including managers didn’t even care. It was like so what?

No one hide it, we just walked in and sat with ice cream and coffee branded from stores next door. It’s like they were inviting us to bring in food. So I didn’t feel bad about bringing in outside food.

Comment by Anonymous — Jun 11th 2007 @ 11:10 pm
  13. Ha! We take food to the movies all the time. Well, not all the time but often. Even though we don’t go to the movies often… LOL

We get a lot more movies from the library these days. They are free if they’re 2 years or older. New releases are a $2 rental fee. That’s for 3 days.

With the price of movie tix, no way am I shelling out additional $$ for food. Although I love the taste of movie popcorn, Target sells an air-popped popcorn that is to die for. πŸ™‚

Comment by Anonymous — Jun 12th 2007 @ 4:08 pm
  14. I usually wait 3-6 weeks before seeing a movie in the theater. and then i usually will skip the concession stand completely.

right now tickets go for $11, or $10 with student discount. When I was a student 10 years ago, they were going for $4.50.

but there’s no inflation, is there?

Comment by Anonymous — Jun 12th 2007 @ 8:12 pm
  15. I’m not sure why it is an either-or proposition: Sneak snacks in or pay exorbitant prices.

How about this… Go to the movie… Watch the movie… Eat before or after.

That’s the route I choose. I don’t have to stuff my face while watching a movie. In fact, I hate all the crinkling and munching and slurping that goes on.

So why sneak? I think when you do you are doing something wrong. (Hence, why it is called “sneaking”.) Plus, you are teaching your children that some rules are for breaking, depending on how you feel about them.

Pay the price for the snacks or just watch the movie. In addition to the above commentary, your waistline will also thank you.

Comment by Anonymous — Jun 14th 2007 @ 9:26 am
  16. The claim that studios take 70 to 80% of a ticket price is wrong… Opening week its more like 90-95%… when you factor in the cost of electricity to run those projectors, its a wash on the film.
    Also, to show the trailers, theres no payment made to the theatre, the only payment they can get is in the way of advertising for a local business or running product commercials.

Comment by Anonymous — Jun 14th 2007 @ 3:43 pm
  17. Amy, do you have a source for that information? I’d be interested in seeing it if you do. Thanks.

Comment by Nickel — Jun 14th 2007 @ 3:47 pm
  18. You can always do the “popcorn trick.” I tend to peruse the trash cans and look for large popcorns that didn’t redeem their free refill. I carefully take the bag out of the trash and get the free refill. When I was younger they would refill the same bag, which was kinda gross. But nowadays they exchange the original bag for a new one that says “Free Refill” along the top. I’ve saved a bundle over the years doing this.

Comment by Anonymous — Jun 14th 2007 @ 3:52 pm
  19. Sorry, no real passable info, I’m in the buisness (4+ years) and its based on conversations with the owners and passing looks at the contracts with the studios.

Comment by Anonymous — Jun 14th 2007 @ 3:54 pm
  20. I’m not surprised with the information Amy presents. It sounds right on the money based on what I know, and helps explains why huge cineplexes barely survive and smaller theaters are dwindling, as well as why there has been massive consolidation in the industry over the last 10-15 years.

Comment by Matt Jabs — Jun 14th 2007 @ 4:33 pm
  21. Yes, it all depends on the theater’s size. That determines the deals they can swing with the film companies. I can vouch that Amy is correct. It is usually a 90/10 split in favor of the film company for at least the first 2 weeks. then things get interesting. if you are a small theater, you can get stuck running a film company’s bomb for 3 weeks so you can get a blockbuster.

On the trailers:
    The film companies usually specify 3 that are shipped with the movie that you have to play. There really isn’t money made by theater for those adds. They money the theatre makes is the LCD projector running a dvd of local adds.

Comment by Anonymous — Jun 14th 2007 @ 5:24 pm
  22. To clarify that last sentence, the adds that are running before the film trailers are shown are the local ones that the theater makes its money on.

Comment by Anonymous — Jun 14th 2007 @ 5:26 pm
  23. Reid is exactly right.
    We’re a smaller size theatre, only show 2-4 trailers before the movie (usually ones the studios choose to go with the film), and have in the past, gotten stuck carrying films that arent making money in order to get a copy of a bigger movie.
    When you figure in all the costs, I wonder how we’re making enough money to even stay open, and we’re a pretty busy theater.

Comment by Anonymous — Jun 14th 2007 @ 5:30 pm
  24. What is even more fun is when your booking agent likes his other clients more than you and give you only movies that will bomb in your market. then magically, you change agents, and you can now get our hands on prints that supposedly didn’t exist.

Comment by Anonymous — Jun 14th 2007 @ 5:33 pm
  25. So what happens when i buy a discounted ticket from costco thats 30-35% cheaper than regular price?

Does the studio get that, or is it the same split between the studio and theater.

Comment by Anonymous — Jun 14th 2007 @ 5:38 pm
  26. Ahh, it seems like you’re in the buisness too

Comment by Anonymous — Jun 14th 2007 @ 5:39 pm
  27. Honestly Adventures, I’m not 100% sure. The studios wont let passes or discounted tickets be used on newer films, so between that and the fact that every night we’re asked for the films’ grosses, I’m guessing that the theater and studio split the cost according to their 90/10 or whatever agreement.

Comment by Anonymous — Jun 14th 2007 @ 5:42 pm
  28. I worked as a Projectionist for a 8-screen cinema for a couple years. When I was hired, during orientation they told us that the actual cost for a cup of pop or a bag of popcorn was only pennies (just factoring in the actual cost of the product).

I never learned about the actual figures but from conversations with my managers I would guess the 90-10 splittage to be pretty close.

It was amazing for me to learn that movie cinemas don’t make their money from running movies!

Comment by Anonymous — Jun 18th 2007 @ 5:15 pm
  29. Well, some of you were right, some of you weren’t. It is true that during the first few weeks of a new release the studios do take 70% the first week, then usually 60% the second, 50% the third, 40% the fourth, and then roll out at 35% for the next two weeks or however long you are obligated to keep the film when you made the deal to receive and run the film. That is just the firm term studio, some of them use ‘floating terms’ where, depending on how the film does, for example, it makes more money in the second week than it does in the first week, they will charge you a higher % for the second week. And then there is always the dreaded 90/10. I have been working as an accountant for movie theaters for years and I can assure you that there is not a lot of money being made by running all those trailer and ads before the show starts and that 72.45% of all income is from the concessions. Look, going to the movies is supposed to be an experience, to see the film as it was made to be seen, on THE BIG SCREEN, with the digitally mastered sound, and enough popcorn and soda to make you sick!!! If that’s not the experience that you are looking for, than wait for it to come out on DVD. The experience is not for the faint hearted or the light of wallet. Everyone just remember, that movie theater is providing jobs in the community, to people who spend their money in the community. And you have to admit, it’s a lot more fun than just going to some fast food joint on a Friday night!
    Support your local movie theaters!!!

Comment by Anonymous — Jul 5th 2007 @ 9:28 pm
  30. I forgot about this post, but found this on howstuffworks.com… its really interesting for anyone interested in more about movie distribution/how theaters make money

Comment by Anonymous — Jul 6th 2007 @ 1:40 am
  31. Someone may have said this already, but one thing you can do is go to a movie theater that is attached to a mall if you are worried about ‘sneaking in food’ because, at least in my area, the local AMC allows you to bring in items including food without any hassle. This is a great boon if you have time to run down to the dollar store at the other end of the mall to pick up the candy before the show. Also, once we got pizza from the food court and brought it in. My wife who used to work there said that occasionally people would have pizza DELIVERED to the theater πŸ™‚

Anyway, I don’t often get concession anyway because if I get popcorn I need a drink, and if I get a drink I can’t make it through the movie without a bathroom break, especially since if I break down and get something from the concession stand, I can’t bear to pay the outrageous price for a small when a medium or large is less than a dollar more πŸ™‚

Comment by Anonymous — Sep 13th 2007 @ 11:16 am
  32. if you give a mouse a cookie

Comment by Anonymous — Jul 2nd 2009 @ 3:50 am
  33. Here’s how to do candy – Trip 1 – buy the candy at the theater, eat it, keep the box, refill it with reasonably priced candy, take it with you for the next movie, and the next, and the next. You could also dumpster dive, if you are so inclined…. Some stores are selling “theater size” boxes of candy. I don’t mind the theater making their money, but price gouging is unacceptable. And why is the service so slow if that’s where they make their money?

Comment by Anonymous — Jul 17th 2009 @ 5:44 pm
  34. They should be bargaining with the price of how much they pay to show the movie. If the movie theater declined the movie, then what?

Comment by Anonymous — Dec 2nd 2009 @ 5:28 pm
  35. If they don’t charge 6.00 for a bag of popcorn they go out, its as easy as that. They’re charging what they have to. Its a necessary evil.

Comment by Anonymous — Aug 3rd 2010 @ 3:29 pm
  36. My beef is not with the local theatres who hire your friends and family and bring a little income to your neighborhood. It is the absurd amounts of money paid to movie stars and top film execs. Their only concern is feeding their greed. If all movie goers and theatres stood together and demanded fees be more reasonable Hollywood would have to see that without local theatres they would die. Hard times areonly hitting the average Joe, not the film industry that makes obsene profits off of all movie goers.

Comment by Anonymous — Dec 14th 2010 @ 9:05 am
  37. You review songs, you don’t have to write much but write enough. 55% of women go online to find venues for personal expression compared to only 43% of men. If you do not have a Kindle device, you can get the Kindle app for free and then download books to that app.

Comment by Anonymous — Apr 23rd 2013 @ 12:55 pm
  38. So……
    The brand new 20 plex that was just built in my backyard, a Movie Tavern, was built on stale candy and microwaved Artichoke dip?
    Are we really THAT gullible as humans that we are allowing this industry to lure us in by using high budgeted 3D and IMAX films just to buy sweets and sodas?

Comment by Anonymous — Mar 30th 2016 @ 3:31 pm