Adjust Text Size

State and Federal Income Tax Arbitrage

Written by Nickel - 4 Comments

As I noted earlier this week, today is the deadline for second quarter estimated tax payments. Since we’ve experience a relatively sizable uptick in income that’s not subject to withholding, we’re actually on our own for a good bit in the way of taxes. That being said, we can can actually hold back a good bit of this money until taxes are due next spring, allowing us to earn interest on the difference. The key here is to pay enough to avoid an underpayment penalty, but beyond that there’s no need to pay more than you want. Just be sure that you set aside sufficient funds to cover your tax bill when it comes due at the end of the year. In our case, we’re earmarking 50% of net profits to go into a special account to cover our SEP-IRA contributions as well as our state and federal tax liabilities (we make our estimated payments out of that account and will then pay the balance due from it at tax time).

Published on June 15th, 2007 - 4 Comments
Filed under: Taxes

About the author: is the founder and editor-in-chief of this site. He's a thirty-something family man who has been writing about personal finance since 2005, and guess what? He's on Twitter!

Related articles...

» States With No Income Tax
» Should You Pay Your Taxes With a Credit Card?
» How to Request a State Income Tax Filing Extension
» My First Encounter with the Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT)
» Don’t Miss These Tax Breaks, Part 1
» How do Federal Income Tax Brackets Work?
» From the Archives (June 8th – July 5th)
» Federal Income Tax Rates Went Down but Your Federal Tax Withholding Increased. Here’s Why…

Was this article useful? Please sign up to receive our content via e-mail:

You will receive only the daily updates, and can unsubscribe at anytime.

4 Responses to “State and Federal Income Tax Arbitrage”

  1. 1
    broknowrchlatr Says:

    Great! don’t cough oup the money till you have to.

    I do the same with federal. I set my exeptions to 25 (so I pay no federal tax) and then max out my 401k. Then, I use IRSs withholding calculator to calc and pay all my taxes in the last month of the year.

  2. 2
    CPA1298 Says:

    Brok – 25 exemptions is aggressive. I use 12 exemptions, and it knocks down my withholding pretty well. I’ve read that 12 is the most you can submit on a W-4 without providing additional information.

    I plan on owing $12k – $15k in taxes next April, interest/penalty free.

  3. 3
    Minimum Wage Says:

    And to think I’ve been paying taxes the hard way all these years.

    Is this a great country or what?

  4. 4
    Frank fernandis Says:

    The converse is also true. If you owe the state money in a calendar year, you can take it as an extra deduction against your federal income, since it was a state income tax paid.

Leave a Reply

Because rates and offers from advertisers shown on this website change frequently, please visit referenced sites for current information. This website may be compensated by companies mentioned through advertising, affiliate programs or otherwise.
FiveCentNickel User Survey