Bank Deal: Earn 1.00% APY on an FDIC-insured savings account at Barclays Bank.
We’ve recently been totally slammed schedule-wise… We’re coaching three soccer teams (fortunately only three of our four boys are playing age), my workload has ratcheted up about ten notches, we’ve had sick kids, which means doctor’s appointments, a backlog of homework, etc. Oh, and we’re in the midst of a relatively major home renovation.
All of this, combined with a recent comment from a reader named Floyd, got me to thinking about the relationship between free time and spending vs. saving money. In response to a post on debt reduction strategies, Floyd stated that:
“When you’re busy, you save money.”
Really? Let’s think about that for a minute… If you’re wildly overscheduled, you might not have time to incur entertainment expenses, engage in frivolous shopping, etc. But… Perhaps you’re more likely to rely on costly convenience items to get you through the day, wind up paying late fees for things you forgot to return (or pay) on time, etc.
So, dear readers, which is it? Does a hyper-busy life save money? Or do you actually end up spending more when you’re busy than when you have time on your hands? While the answer will probably depend on why you are busy (maybe you’re out there making more money?) and how truly busy you are, I’d still love to hear your thoughts.
- How to Become a Millionaire
- How to Get Out of Debt
- The Best Dollars I've Ever Spent
- How Our Estate Plan is Structured
- How We Paid Our Mortgage In Less than 10 Years
- Money Making Ideas
- How to Manage Your Asset Allocation with Multiple Accounts
- Consumption Smoothing - Save While the Saving's Good
- How to Save on Groceries
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need?
- Eleven Great Books About Money
- Dave Ramsey is Bad at Math (692)
- Dish Network Customer Service SUCKS (534)
- $8,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (429)
- Pay Off Mortgage Early or Invest? (424)
- How to Claim the First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit (352)
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor (325)
- How Much Should You Pay a Babysitter? (284)
- Ethanol Blended Gas = Lower Mileage? (272)
- Reduced Credit Limits? Share Your Experience (256)
- $15,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (242)
- Buying Furniture off the Back of a Truck (227)
- Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007? (191)