Bank Deal: Earn 1.00% APY on an FDIC-insured savings account at Barclays Bank.
My wife and I have always talked about keeping a lump sum of cash on hand, hidden away somewhere in the house, in case of emergency. That being said, we’ve never really settled on an amount much less withdrawn the money and stashed it. But this week we found ourselves with a sizable wad of cash in a kitchen drawer, which got me to thinking about this all over again.
As an aside, the cash is from a failed attempt to buy a new dinette table from craigslist. We saw one that we thought we might like (based on the teeny, tiny pictures in the listing) so we headed out to take a look. Since they were located about 25 miles from our house, and since we wanted to have cash on hand for bargaining, we stopped by the bank on the way. When the table turned out to be underwhelming, we returned home with the money.
Returning to the issue at hand, we’re struggling with how much to keep around. $500 seems like a nice round number, but I really don’t have a good feel for this. Honestly, I don’t even have a sense for what sort of emergency might arise where we’d need the money. But it still seems like a good idea, especially with four little kids relying on us for food, shelter, and safety. So…
Do you keep an emergency cash on hand? If so, how much? And what would you envision using it for?
Oh, and before you get any bright ideas about figuring out where we live and raiding our kitchen drawers, we’re moving the money and you’ll never find it… 😉
- How to Become a Millionaire
- How to Get Out of Debt
- The Best Dollars I've Ever Spent
- How Our Estate Plan is Structured
- How We Paid Our Mortgage In Less than 10 Years
- Money Making Ideas
- How to Manage Your Asset Allocation with Multiple Accounts
- Consumption Smoothing - Save While the Saving's Good
- How to Save on Groceries
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need?
- Eleven Great Books About Money
- Dave Ramsey is Bad at Math (692)
- Dish Network Customer Service SUCKS (534)
- $8,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (429)
- Pay Off Mortgage Early or Invest? (424)
- How to Claim the First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit (352)
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor (325)
- How Much Should You Pay a Babysitter? (284)
- Ethanol Blended Gas = Lower Mileage? (272)
- Reduced Credit Limits? Share Your Experience (256)
- $15,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (242)
- Buying Furniture off the Back of a Truck (228)
- Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007? (191)