With all of the talk about saving money and planning for the future, I wanted to spend a bit of time talking about things that are totally worth the money that I’ve spent on them. Of course, there are a great many things of this sort, so I’ll just throw out a quick list of five somewhat (or totally) frivolous things that have been well worth the money…
1. Owning a trailer. When we moved into our current house, we purchased a utility trailer. It’s a 5 x 8 steel trailer with high slat sides and a ramp that drops down in the back. It wasn’t cheap, but we haven’t once regretted the purchase. We use it for hauling brush out of the woods out back, hauling furniture home, hauling our donations to Goodwill at the end of the year, etc. We’re abale to do a ton of stuff that we couldn’t otherwise do without owning a much larger vehicle, and it’s easily paid for itself already.
2. Amazon Prime. Yes, it’s costs $80/year, but it sure is handy to be able to order stuff from Amazon without planning ahead to be sure I make it over the $25 minimum for Super Saver shipping. Better still, it’s two day shipping, so your stuff comes really quickly.
3. Online movie rentals. Whether it’s Blockbuster or Netflix, I love (yes, love) the convenience of online movie rentals.
4. Airport Express. We have a wireless network at our house which I’ve always enjoyed. But I didn’t know what I was missing until I added an Airport Express to the network. This thing is amazing… It offers Airtunes, which allows us to stream music wirelessly from iTunes to our stereo, and it also works as a print server so we can put our laser printer on the network without having to keep it near a computer. Very, very slick.
5. Noise cancelling headphones. If you do a decent amount of air travel, do yourself a favor and get yourself a set of noise cancelling headphones. I absolutely love my Bose QuietComfort 3 headphones. Yes, they cost an arm and a leg, but they’re fantastic.
What about you? What things do you own that are totally worth the money?