Don’t Forget to Sign Your Tax Return!

This is just a quick reminder to all of you who are filing a hard copy of your taxes…

Don’t forget forget to sign your tax return!

According to the IRS, your return is not considered to be a valid tax return unless you sign it. And if you’re filing jointly, your spouse will need to sign it, as well.

Published on April 14th, 2008 - 15 Comments
Filed under: Taxes

1. I failed to sign my NYS tax return. They sent me a form to sign and send back. It took about 2 months to receive my refund as opposed to a few weeks if I had done it properly.

Comment by Anonymous — Apr 14th 2008 @ 11:06 am
  2. I discovered this the hard way one year. Oops.

Comment by Anonymous — Apr 14th 2008 @ 11:29 am
  3. One more reason to do it online 🙂

Comment by Anonymous — Apr 14th 2008 @ 4:43 pm
  4. Oops.

I just mailed my AZ state taxes in a few days ago, and I don’t remember if I signed the return.

Comment by Anonymous — Apr 14th 2008 @ 11:39 pm
  5. Very timely reminder. I make a habit of checking our returns a few times. I’m guessing the IRS doesn’t have a well developed sense of humor. Now, how long until Tax Freedom Day ?

Comment by Anonymous — Apr 15th 2008 @ 12:06 am
  6. Uh oh.

My accountant flavored missus filed my tax return. I got this post in my RSS reader this morning and realized, quite to my horror, that I didn’t sign my return.

Upon emailing her at work, she doesn’t remember signing hers either.

We mailed out our returns a week ago. I had to pay this year because I’m an independent contractor. We’re both getting refund adjustments and she’s getting an epic return.

Anyone know what’ll happen? I’m assuming they’ll send it back with a form as dreamy1 commented, but do you think we’ll still get our adjustments? Will I have to pay a penalty since I had to send a check?

I’m a freaking moron, man.

Comment by Anonymous — Apr 15th 2008 @ 10:10 am
  7. I filed my federal and state taxes with the wrong SSN for my wife (transposed 2 digits) and I finally got a reply from IRS. However, the reply said nothing about the wrong SSN, just that I forgot to sign the return. Duh. So I have to write real big on the papers I’m returning to please correct the SSN problem too (and I’ve called them numerous times.)

Since I’m not getting a refund from federal, I’m not antsy to get this done quickly, unless it severely impacts my rebate (not that I’m counting on that for anything either). The state, however, is a refund and I’m still waiting on them to refile my amended return.

Comment by Anonymous — Apr 15th 2008 @ 11:36 am
  8. Mailed my return complete with cashier’s check for additional taxes owed. I and my wife failed to sign the return. What happens next?

Comment by Anonymous — Apr 15th 2009 @ 9:11 am
  9. Lord have mercy I think I forgot to sign my income tax form…my husband did but I cannot remember if i did. What will happen if i didn’t sign it. I am sick over this. Please help…..

Comment by Anonymous — Apr 18th 2009 @ 4:59 pm
  10. Omg I’m sooo sick. I did not sign or date my tax return papers before sending them! This was 5 weeks ago. What’s gonna happen?

Comment by Anonymous — May 20th 2009 @ 8:00 pm
  11. need to sign and date my 2008 tax return

Comment by Anonymous — Jun 15th 2009 @ 6:10 pm
  12. I just got my taxes done and my parents mailed it without me signing it!! I Don’t know what to do!!?? please help!!?? what is going to happen???

Comment by Anonymous — Feb 8th 2010 @ 6:54 pm
  13. I called the IRS about this issue a few weeks ago because I sent my return without signing it. The woman told me to go ahead and resend my return with a signature. She said they would figure it out. If you are sending in a payment as well, you may want to call and ask about that because I’m not sure if you should send another check or not. I didn’t mail a check so I wasn’t in that situation. Mine was refund only 🙂

Comment by Anonymous — Feb 12th 2010 @ 4:00 pm
  14. I just got off the phone with the IRS and they told me that my refund would still be in processing and to wait 6-8 weeks until I receive a letter back from them stating I didn’t sign the forms. Then I would simply sign the form and return it. This sucks! lol

Comment by Anonymous — Apr 9th 2010 @ 2:31 pm
  15. After reading these I feel better. I’m in good company. Because I lived part of the year in NJ and part of the yr. in FL I could not file electronically this year. I printed out my hard copy and forgot to sign.

What a dip I am.