Change Your Furnace Filters!

This is just a quick reminder to change your furnace filters this weekend if you haven’t done so in awhile. Your heat and air system will run much more efficiently with clean filters, meaning less energy consumption and lower energy bills.

While my goal is to do this monthly, I typically forget to do it until I here the wind whistling through the clogged filters in our air returns. So…

This reminder is as much for me as it is for you. 🙂

Published on May 2nd, 2008 - 8 Comments
Filed under: Energy,Frugality,House & Home

1. I have programmable thermostats that track the number of hours the HVAC system has run; the thermostats indicate that the filter needs changing after 250 hours.

Whether monthly, or as indicated by a thermostat, or on some other schedule, changing the filters is a must!

Comment by Anonymous — May 2nd 2008 @ 3:34 pm
  2. Thanks for the suggestion. Can I share one in return? Please add a link so visitors can easily e-mail your posts. This furnace filter reminder is something my parents need to be aware of! 🙂 Thanks.

Comment by Anonymous — May 2nd 2008 @ 3:41 pm
  3. has anyone done a cost-benefit analysis of changing the filters monthly? Is the increased efficiency enough to make up for the time and energy of changing them?

Comment by Anonymous — May 2nd 2008 @ 6:33 pm
  4. Matt: Seriously, how much time and energy does it take you to change an air filter? Also keep in mind that you’re extending the life of one of the biggest systems in your house by doing this.

Comment by Nickel — May 2nd 2008 @ 6:43 pm
  5. Filters can cost $7 to $15, depending on quality and size. Not big, but not trivial either.

Comment by Anonymous — May 2nd 2008 @ 9:16 pm
  6. Actually, the cost ranges from $1.50 to much more.

Comment by Nickel — May 2nd 2008 @ 9:17 pm
  7. My filter costs $20 and I change it every 3-months. I’m not sure if I’m saving money, with the heat efficiency and extending the life of my furnace – but the furnace repairman claims that I will save money.

Comment by Anonymous — May 3rd 2008 @ 10:31 pm
  8. I have only used my Heat/AC for in total less than a day during the past month do I still need to change the filter?

Comment by Anonymous — May 6th 2008 @ 5:25 pm