How to Get Rid of Ants Safely and Without an Exterminator

Summer is here, which means that it’s time to deal with all sorts of creepy, crawly critters. With four kids in the house, we’ve had to deal with our fair share of ants in the past — though it’s been less of an issue as the kids have gotten a bit older and a bit less messy. While there are a lot of commercial solutions out there, such as Terro Ant Baits, I wanted to share a quick, cheap, and easy tip for do-it-yourself ant control.

First, pick up some boric acid powder (available at most drug stores) and mix a small amount of it 50:50 with table sugar. There’s nothing particularly scientific about this ratio, so it’s fine to just eyeball it. Next, put some of this mix into a small container such as the the cap from a milk jug or the lid from a 2 liter bottle. Finally, drizzle some water into it to make a slurry (i.e., a thick suspension). That’s it — you’re now ready to kill some ants.

Once your concoction is ready, simply set the mix in the path of the oncoming ants (they usually form a foraging trail) and then wait. At this point it’s important to be patient and not kill any of the ants yourself. The reason for this is that you want them to take your tasty treat back to the nest with them. Boric acid is toxic to ants, but it doesn’t work immediately. As such, you need to let them forage and then take it back home to share with their nestmates — this will ultimately wipe out the entire colony.

A few notes:

It might take a bit for the ants to get interested. I’ve noticed in that past that they really get going after dark, so if they don’t take interest right away, there’s still hope. Within a day or two your problem will be gone.

As I noted above, it’s important to resist the temptation to squash them once they get interested in your tasty treat. Let them have their fill and then take it back to the nest to feed it to the queen and her young’uns.

A word of caution… While boric acid is relatively low in toxicity when it comes to humans — in fact, it’s traditionally been used as an eye wash in a low concentration solution — you still shouldn’t ingest it. As such, you should keep children and/or pets away from it.

There are different kinds of ants. Some prefer sweets, whereas others prefer grease and fats. While I’ve never tried this myself, I’ve heard that mixing boric acid with peanut butter is an effective treatment for grease-eating ants. So… If sugar doesn’t work, give peanut butter a try.

Finally, it’s worth noting that the most effective way to combat the ant problem is to avoid it in the first place. Simply cleaning up after messy kids, wiping up food spills, sweeping up crumbs, etc. will go a long way toward keeping the ants away.

Need proof that it works? Check out Jim’s post on how to get rid of ants. If it worked for him, it’ll work for you.

Published on June 6th, 2008 - 74 Comments
Filed under: Frugality

1. If you lay down a narrow trail of boric acid (it should be light) across doorways and windowsills, it will discourage ants from entering your home.

But they find ways.

When I moved in to the House from He**, one of its many demonic traits was vast infestations of ants. The landscaper didn’t want to work in the yard because of the aggressive little ladies, who belonged to a variety with a particularly annoying bite. I managed to get rid of them with two strategies:

1. Call in birds that eat ants. Most birds will eat a few, but flickers and thrashers just love’em. Get yourself a bird feeder and hang it near the ant nests. This takes a few weeks, but it helps a lot. BTW, don’t leave the bag of birdseed where the ondts can get it: they’ll poke holes in the plastic and consume the seed in days.

2. Get two packages of ant baits in different brands (they’re not necessarily identical). Place a few of each near ant hills. I had two dogs that I didn’t care to have eating the baits, and so I took the cages off my house fans and set them down over the baits. This effectively kept pets out but allowed the ants to come and go. And that WORKED.

Comment by Anonymous — Jun 6th 2008 @ 9:44 am
  2. I’ve heard club soda is a good way to kill ant hills, but I like your method because killing the mounds doesn’t really do much – it just forces them to relocate.

Comment by Anonymous — Jun 6th 2008 @ 10:35 am
  3. Nickel,

We use the boric powder as well, but I mix it up with a little powdered sugar and snow cone syrup. The little guys can’t resist such a solution and as you said in a couple days are completely gone.

Comment by Anonymous — Jun 6th 2008 @ 11:25 am
  4. I’ve used the little aspartame sweetner (nutra sweet) packets you get at the diner or store and mix it just as described for boric acid and it did amazingly well against ants. Some ants I found liked grease better than sweet but I just added a little margarine to the mix and it did the trick to attract them and get rid of them.

Comment by Anonymous — Jun 6th 2008 @ 3:28 pm
  5. As someone who gets ants the second week of May no matter what, I don’t know where they come from, the Terro baits worked wonders. I has tried others in the past and had to wait up to 2 weeks for results. Within 5 days the ants were gone with terro and I haven’t seen them again this year! (If I could figure out where they come from in the first place it would be bette, but oh well.)

Comment by Anonymous — Jun 6th 2008 @ 10:35 pm
  6. When I had an ant problem and called the exterminator, they used a mixture of boric acid and mint jelly. They put small amounts around the area where we had ants. This included taking the electrical outlet covers off and putting a small amount of the mixture inside the outlet boxes.

Comment by Anonymous — Jun 7th 2008 @ 9:39 am
  7. We live in the desert where ants, black widows, and all manner of unsavory creatures of all shapes and sizes abound, but because we have pets we are really cautious about insecticides.

I recently discovered an all-natural product called EcoSmart which is made of vanilla, cinnamon and rosemary oils and is safe for pets (though it’s probably still best to keep pets away from it until it dries). We’ve only just begun using it, but we really like it. It kills insects on contact, is safe, and best of all smells really nice!

I bought 3 cans the first day and picked up another one yesterday to make sure we never run out.

Comment by Anonymous — Jun 7th 2008 @ 6:06 pm
  8. Thanks for the tips! I didn’t realize ants like grease. Sugar, I knew. Yesterday afternoon I put out a mixture of powdered sugar and boric acid along the house in the back yard. I look forward to see the results soon!

Comment by Anonymous — Jun 8th 2008 @ 11:11 am
  9. Ants’ craving for sugar vs. oily substances shifts according to the season and according to the hive’s nutritional needs. Sometimes they’re searching for sweet stuff; other times they’ll look for meat or rich oily seeds and (by extension) greasy human food.

That’s why it’s a good idea, if you use ant baits, to use two different brands. Read the instructions to be sure they’re actually different.

BTW (esp. @ Penelope), you do not want to kill off all the ants near your home, and you absolutely positively don’t want to get rid of any black widows that are outdoors (where they prefer to reside). Black widows kill and completely consume any number of insect pests, including (b’lieve it or not) cockroaches. And ants are effective scavengers that police your yard and form an important part of the ecosystem.

Comment by Anonymous — Jun 8th 2008 @ 2:17 pm
  10. Thank you for this! We have terrible ants this summer, it’s maddening. I’m going to try every single hint posted here. God, they’re everywhere, I feel like I’m in a 50s Sci Fi flick.

Comment by Anonymous — Jun 8th 2008 @ 3:03 pm
  11. A big problem even for professional exterminators are ants that have multiple queens. Odorous Ants and Argentine ants are all over the West Coast now (and, I’m going to guess, Argentina). If the hive senses a threat (like half the hive dying from boric acid) a queen will jump ship and start a new hive. Or, more likely, several queens will start several new hives. Which is no fun.
    The only solution I’ve read about is to actually find the hive and kill wontonly and without mercy. The bait/poison idea might work (and comment 9 is right that you want to try both an oil/protein aka peanut butter bait as well as a sweet/sugary bait aka peanut butter, because, as the comment said, sometimes they feel like a nut, and sometimes they just want the sugar).

Comment by Anonymous — Jun 9th 2008 @ 1:13 am
  12. Good Luck using this on those new raspberry ants the ones that were brought over from another country and like to infest computer systems and electronic devices because that is what they are attracted to, Do some research to solve that one .. there are infestations in Texas, as so I have heard and read.

Comment by Anonymous — Jun 9th 2008 @ 1:36 am
  13. You can also mix borix acid powder with a yolk and some flower to create spheres which ants, cockroaches and every other insect will eat and die.

However, when playing with chemicals like borix acid make sure kids don’t eat it!

Comment by Anonymous — Jun 9th 2008 @ 5:50 am
  14. I have heard that ants are mostly covered with a fatty layer or something that repels water and that their breathing holes are on their under side. If it is true or not it gave me an idea when our first child was born and we had a big problem with ants. I did not want to use any pesticide so I just used a very weak dishwashing liquid soap and water mixture in a spray bottle. Most small black ants “drown” nearly instantly when you spray them with this. Red ants seem not to be to bothered by it – at least the ones here in South Africa.

Comment by Anonymous — Jun 9th 2008 @ 6:29 am
  15. If you know where the ant hill is an environmentally friendly ant killing solution is boiling water. We used to get this occasional moving ant balls that came out of nowhere in the summer that would cover the sidewalk (and bite you if they could). A pot of boiling H2O and they got a lot less aggressive 🙂

Comment by Anonymous — Jun 9th 2008 @ 8:06 am
  16. Instead of killing ants, is there something that would chase them from the home? I’d really like to avoid killing if i could. thanks.

Comment by Anonymous — Jun 9th 2008 @ 1:27 pm
  17. Why you murderer you!!!!!

(also u can use ground up Camphor to repel them.. it works good.. and it quite fast-acting)

Comment by Anonymous — Jun 9th 2008 @ 1:42 pm
  18. Cockroaches too!

I moved into a house in the city which had been cockroach-infested for many years. We had lots of pets so we didn’t want to use poison – and the neighbors told us they’d been using poison for years without getting results anyway.

For cockroaches, you don’t even have to mix it with sugar. Just lay down a continuous line of boric acid powder all along the backs and sides (anywhere they’d be entering) of the food cabinets and closets where they’ve been coming in to steal your food.

Something about the design of cockroach feet traps the boric acid powder, they track it back to the nest, and… doom. You’ll have to be patient, though; we saw fewer cockroaches within 3-4 days, but it took weeks before they were completely gone. Make sure to maintain the lines of boric acid during that time.

Comment by Anonymous — Jun 9th 2008 @ 1:50 pm
  19. Diatomaceous Earth has worked for me. You lay a thin line or “spay” into cracks and holes and the ants will ultimately leave you alone. Sure it kills a few, but then the remaining ants learn that this area kills ants and will go foraging elsewhere. It is safe for humans and pets, but like anything else, caution is advised.

Comment by Anonymous — Jun 9th 2008 @ 2:36 pm
  20. Well if anyone hasn’t mentioned it yet, you can simply plant mint bushes. Ants do not like them for one reason or another and will stay away. Also, if you do kill ants, leave the bodies of the dead around for a while. Ants are smart enough to realize when they see bodies lying everywhere to not come back for a while.

Comment by Anonymous — Jun 9th 2008 @ 5:16 pm
  21. OK, thing is, there are ants and there are ants. Some ants have one queen and are territorial. If you get the borax to that queen, you win that battle. But some ants have figured another way to be a plague. They have multiple queens and kill other kinds of ants (a bad thing) but mutually support their own kind. It is said 5000 acre conglomerates of these (probably Argentine) ants exist in Texas & California, NM & AZ. What works with fire ants in MS and FL and TX may be sneered at by other kinds of these creatures. Diatomaceous earth (be sure it is not for the pool and dangerous, but OK for pets & kids) is amazing and boric acid with either sugar or grease (peanut butter is good) is great, but patience is required and those multiple queens … one treatment does not get them all. Anyway, they will be back. Soap kills the immediate ones but the queen is unaffected. Boiling water and fizz may work for a minute, but watch out. There is a theory that these are not genuine forms of life but are advance troops from Tralfamodore, so squeamish and spiritual persons should not worry about killing them. There is no lifeform harm in smashing a sparkplug or crossthreading a bolt. Really, they will be back.

Comment by Anonymous — Jun 9th 2008 @ 7:44 pm
  22. For those who dont want to kill their pet ants…

You can use talcum powder across doorways and other “paths” to help keep those armies occupied. Until they start piling up the dead bodies and making a bridge to get across your primitive human barrier.

The only REAL solution = complete annihilation!

Comment by Anonymous — Jun 10th 2008 @ 5:33 am
  23. ooo this really helps. we’re always getting ants with my sons sticky messes, so now I know how to stop them. YAY!

Comment by Anonymous — Jun 10th 2008 @ 11:35 am
  24. Anyone know how well this (the boric acid mix) would work with carpenter ants? That’s our big issue. I don’t care too much about the little ones that eat some food, but the big carpenter ant ones that tunnel through my post and beam house AND eat my food…

I know part of the prevention of such an issue is keeping wooden parts of your house well away from the ground, as well as stay on top of any leak issues, but once they’re in what’s the quickest most efficient way to be rid of them?

Thanks.

Comment by Anonymous — Jun 11th 2008 @ 7:50 pm
  25. to kill ants…….instant grits……you yankees will have to get someone from the south to ship you some, just sprinkle a little around…easy, cheap, harmless…………….and if you really want to know, the grits expand from the liquid in the ants stomach, and the ant,,,,,well explodes, the noise will not keep you awake

Comment by Anonymous — Jun 21st 2008 @ 10:53 am
  26. @kevin,
    I dont buy the mint bush idea. The reason being that our driveway is lined on both sides with mint, and there are ants all underneath the bricks, digging up the sand in all directions.

Comment by Anonymous — Jul 3rd 2008 @ 8:27 am
  27. Dissolve the boric acid first then combine it with warm honey (microwave), when it cools – you’ve got yourself one ant killing solution. The worker ants will ingest it, then feed it to their queen. Dead hive in a couple weeks.

Comment by Anonymous — Jul 3rd 2008 @ 12:52 pm
  28. Yep – grits work wonders! I also like the boric acid and sugar… but we have been putting grits around ant piles since I was little!

Comment by Anonymous — Jul 7th 2008 @ 4:53 pm
  29. For a couple of days we have had ants like crazy, they are in our oven and bedrooms thats the most places, and i keep a clean house, but how and where do we find the and nest or hill? ants aint new to us but it being this bad is. Thank You

Comment by Anonymous — Jul 10th 2008 @ 9:44 am
  30. I have crazy raspberry ants in Keller TX. To me they are a cross between a pharoah ant and a crazy ant. If you apply a residual to pharoahs they bud out and since the colnies have multiple queens no commercial over the counter residual is working. No bait has worked. I saw on a blog just moments ago that Termidor has an emergency approval for these crazy things. And they are. They did run out all the fire ants in my yard. However they made a bee line for the bug zapper and are now checking out my ac. Nothing has worked on them and the next step for me is a professional company to come out.

Comment by Anonymous — Jul 22nd 2008 @ 2:45 pm
  31. Want to know where you puchased EcoSmart? I also live in the desert with all the goodies. The ants and black widows are giving me and my guinea Pigs a pain in the back side. They are starting to attack the babies the ants are. Keeping everything clean but they still want to be in their pens. Also I’m tried of getting bit.

Comment by Anonymous — Jul 22nd 2008 @ 3:35 pm
  32. hey.. im in the uk and have just started gettin ants really bad (although i thought i was prepared after last years mess!) Ive just read a few tips on here and really hope they work for me!! i will let ya know in a few days!! 🙂

Comment by Anonymous — Jul 23rd 2008 @ 9:48 am
  33. that still dosent give me any tips!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!please i need help bad now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!any way i spray windex In my kitchen but they still come back!okay so i go outside to water ONLY ONE PLANT AND IM OUT SIDE FOR A MINUET AND WHEN I COME I AND THERE MORE ANTS THEN LAST TIME!!!! PLEASE READ THIS !

Comment by Anonymous — Aug 23rd 2008 @ 11:02 pm
  34. Quick tip: dish detergent. I use green Palmolive, but any soapy kind should work. Smear it, full strength, wherever the ants appear (assuming this is not on a surface it will damage). Go water a few plants. Come back and wipe up the dead ants with hot water to dissolve the detergeant.

You may have to repeat this a few times, but it will kill them dead.

Comment by Anonymous — Sep 28th 2008 @ 8:11 pm
  35. We have an alarming number of ants coming out of tiny holes in the walls & our electrical outlets. We have tried everything we can think of, but they just keep coming back. Anyone have any new ideas? We have a new baby, so we really shouldn’t use chemicals, but we are almost to that point!

Comment by Anonymous — Sep 30th 2008 @ 6:24 pm
  36. Please help me! We have ants IN the microwave. Seems every time I close the door, they come in droves. We’ve tried the vinegar solution and clean up with bleach cleaner whenever we see them but it is EVERY DAY and EVERY TIME we use the microwave. They only like the microwave – we have kids who leave crumbs EVERYWHERE and they don’t go near that.

I know ‘my’ ants prefer grease (rather than sugar). Can you do the Borax solution bait in a microwave???

Any assistance is deeply appreciate!

ps- we actually have a professional service which performs monthly service and they said they can’t touch the inside of appliances – worthless!

Comment by Anonymous — Nov 29th 2008 @ 8:02 pm
  37. I have found a simple method for getting rid of all types of ants. The key is not to have too much borax or the ants will not take the bait. The details can be found at clearblogs.com/getridofants/. I hope that you find this useful.

Comment by Anonymous — Dec 27th 2008 @ 4:01 am
  38. I used the 50:50 ratio with sugar. The ants weren’t interested, then I tried peanut butter, then I tried condensed milk. Nothing seems to get them to take the bait. The just walk past it like it’s not even there. Should I reduce the boric acid to bait ratio?

Comment by Anonymous — Mar 5th 2009 @ 1:43 am
  39. I didn’t read commend 37…sorry I will reduce the ratio.

Comment by Anonymous — Mar 5th 2009 @ 1:45 am
  40. I use 7,5 gallons of gasoline and BIC lighter .
    Just burn down the house. Watch them running away .
    But first insure your house

Comment by Anonymous — May 7th 2009 @ 9:25 pm
  41. Sprinkle sand where they are coming in or where the mound is present.

Comment by Anonymous — Jun 9th 2009 @ 11:22 am
  42. I’ve had the boric acid and sugar mix around for a few days and they seem to really like it. So I am wondering how many days it takes for them to all die? So I know if I should be trying something else. My daughter wants me to call an exterminator.

Comment by Anonymous — Jun 12th 2009 @ 1:57 pm
  43. I have a problem with very very tiny grease ants. I had butter out and they were on the stick of butter and all over the butter dish. They are so tiny I can not find where they are coming in. Will the boric acid work on grease ants????? If not, does anyone else have any suggestions?

Comment by Anonymous — Jun 26th 2009 @ 9:47 pm
  44. For tiny grease ants , Mix 1 OZ. of water in a 4 OZ. Glass, With 5 teaspoons of white powdered suger, 1/4 teaspoon of boric acid only!! MIX well. You want the water, suger, and boric acid to well. Now mix 1 teaspoon of peanut butter in to it, mix it well.The cap from a milk jug or the lid from a 2 liter bottle will make good beat traps. Boric acid is relatively low in toxicity when it comes to humans, but you should keep children and/or pets away from it. For larger ants Two times the mix. It’s important to be patient. Best of luck to you!! 🙂

Comment by Anonymous — Jul 7th 2009 @ 2:00 am
  45. I’ve just had to shell out 425.00 because ants are getting in the contact of my air conditioner unit and shorting out the relay. It cost me 300.00 on 7/8 to have it replaced, only to have to replace it again today, 7/21 to the tune of 125.00. I’m at wits end. Can anyone tell me the name of the ant that is drawn to electricity so that I know what I’m up against ?

Comment by Anonymous — Jul 21st 2009 @ 12:20 pm
  46. i get ants every summer, but this year is the worst. usually the traps that i get take care of the ants right away. but this summer i have sets of traps from 3 different companies , boric acid powder, and bug spray, but nothing is doing any good. they are walking over the boric acid powder and it is not bothering them. every day they crop up in a different place, hundreds of them at a time. i am using masking tape to zapp them,, i guess i have to keep trying different things like the solutions on this site with pepper salt and chaulk, etc.

Comment by Anonymous — Jul 28th 2009 @ 11:35 pm
  47. PJ- I have an ant problem at my computer. I wouldn’t say “problem” because it’s only one ant at a time…but it’s always around/on my computer, walking around on the desk. I keep killing it or blowing it off and only one keeps coming back. I don’t get it…I put an ant trap by the computer and it didn’t stop it one bit.

Comment by Anonymous — Aug 6th 2009 @ 3:29 am
  48. I have poured salt down the antholes in the backyard then killed any of the ants that were trying to get back home. It worked wonders and it is all natural not to mention cheap, and if the kids get in to the salt, it is safe.

Comment by Anonymous — May 24th 2010 @ 11:47 pm
  49. in Hawaii I have ants pouring out of electrical outlets – in the bedroom, bathroom, light switches (some switches crackle when I turn them on, or don’t work at all!) What’s the best plan to eliminate these shocked ants?

Comment by Anonymous — Jun 5th 2010 @ 6:54 pm
  50. Windex kills ants instantly. It also repels them. Thanks for the borax tip, and I am also going to try the grits idea!

Comment by Anonymous — Jun 9th 2010 @ 11:51 am
  51. my dad used polmolive soap on the lawn and garden areas as i remember from back in the day.I forgot about this i’m going to try this method.A spray bottle filled with polmolive soap that hooks up to the hose and just spray the yard down.I’ll see if this really works .when i was a kid in the 60’s i asked my dad what he was doing?I just remembered by the comment about using just polmolive soap consentrated and laying atrail of it.

Comment by Anonymous — Jul 13th 2010 @ 12:02 am
  52. I never thought about killing the ants at their nests. I’ve been trying to wipe away their trails b/c I heard that others from the nest recognize and follow their pheremones. I am going to try boric acid/water soaked in cotton to put around entryways; liquid dish detergent along backs of counters; and salt or boiling water down their nests. I guess I’m just really sick of them. And I’m certain I won’t kill them all; I know they are good for the ecosystem; just not in my home. I doubt I’ll try burning down the house, though. With my luck, only the ants will remain.

Comment by Anonymous — Jul 15th 2010 @ 2:10 pm
  53. I bought some dispensers froma company called antpro from Florida. I’m trying to find a dilution rate for boric acid and honey?

Comment by Anonymous — Jul 21st 2010 @ 12:04 pm
  54. I am sick and tired of ants being in my home. I have tried so many different ways. The TERRO isn’t working as good as it use to, they like the bleach so don’t use that. I will try the boric acid and sugar. I also heard if you leave corn meal around for them to eat it is suppose to make their stomaches blow up. I tried it and don’t know if it works or not. I was taking a glass bottle of tea , which I finish drinking and put the corn meal in with something sweet and put it all around the house, it sure draws them in. Then you cap the bottle and toss. Only thing is they are in the house and then keeping them out is a problem. My Grandson told me if you take table sugar and spread it about 5 yards 0r feet around your house outside then they won’t come in. That did seem to keep them out for a few weeks or a month. So thank you for the tips, I will try them.

Comment by Anonymous — Apr 21st 2011 @ 12:27 pm
  55. HELP……I have a severe ant problem they are in piles in my kitchen and all over the house……I have tried putting ant bombs in my house but it does not work and raid only works sometimes…..

Comment by Anonymous — May 12th 2011 @ 8:38 am
  56. I agree with Lisa 100%. I’ve been using Windex with amonia to kill them. I’ve got the tiny sugar ants and cant figure out where they’re coming from so I’ve been spraying them. At first, I was wiping it up after they died, but yesterday I just let the dead ants lay there and this morning there were no ants.. alive or dead. I sprayed amonia behind my cabinets where I could.

I plan to go buy liquid boric acid (refered to me by a friend) at Home Depot tonight after work. He said it was in a liquid form & cost about a buck.

I also killed a huge amount of ants in my compost bin with boiling water last year. It worked great there.

Comment by Anonymous — Mar 21st 2012 @ 12:23 pm
  57. Thank you for all the wonderful suggestions. I used the salt. Didn’t have regular salt so I used seasoned salt & it worked like a charm, Thank you, Ginger Lemon –

Comment by Anonymous — Jul 7th 2012 @ 7:23 am
  58. Thank you all for the grit idea’s. We’ve just bought a house and found out the ant bought it first!!!! We have two different kinds. The ones outside stung me. It’s been a week later my foot still itches. it’s revenge time. If that wasnt enough here they come inside. One of us have to go. It’s not us we here for the next 20 years so bye,bye ant’s. Thanks for all the idea’s. I have nothing to loose but a bunch of unwanted ants!!!

Comment by Anonymous — Jul 15th 2012 @ 10:37 pm
  59. I have been having ant problems since I moved in to my apartment I have never had an issue with them really till recently! I made a pizza and I had left it in the oven for later and in only a hour it was completely covered in ants I’m really angry because I’ve lost in the last two weeks almost $300.00 in food. I am now also finding them in my fridge. I have two young children and they love to climb in to my cuboards. What should I do to get rid of them with out harming my children can some one please help? And how are the ants getting in my oven and fridge?

Comment by Anonymous — Jul 18th 2012 @ 3:20 am
  60. I set my baits of boric acid, sugar and water in small lids along my counters which is where the trail is.
    When I woke up this morning, the lids were filled with ants, some still alive and trails of them everywhere.
    Do I just leave it alone? I of course killed the trail, and washed the lids and will redo them tonight before going to bed. I don’t want crawling ants all day long with the kids in the house with the sitter!!!
    What is the usual protocol?

Comment by Anonymous — Aug 6th 2012 @ 10:10 am
  61. Last nite i found a trail of who-know-what-kind of ants. I had seen one or two scouts over the last couple of weeks, but when i woke up one nite this week w/one crawling on my arm, well, that was the straw that broke the camel’s back. Bottom line, i did not have what I thought might kill them like boric acid. So, in desperation, i remembered i had some foot powder. I sprinkled some and lo and behold–it has made a HUGE difference. Perhaps it’s the talc in the powder. All i know is that it worked for the ants I had. Good luck to you all and I feel your pain! Cheers from So. Calif!

Comment by Anonymous — Aug 17th 2012 @ 9:12 pm
  62. P. S. It was just the generic brand from Target. I sprinkled it everywhere, baseboards, stove top. Good luck!

Comment by Anonymous — Aug 17th 2012 @ 9:16 pm
  63. Every summer we’ve had ants getting into our 2 story house, but had always remedied the situation fairly easily… this summer is BAD!! Baits, sprays, soaps, windex you name it hasnt worked. Last week I went and got some boric acid $5, baby food jars $.50 ea, and corn syrup $3. Cleaned out the baby food jars, filled about half way with corn syrup and 1-2 teaspoons of boric acid. Poked holes in the lid, I opted to lay the jar on its side, so if you do this only poke a few holes on one half of the lid so your mixture doesnt spill out. I took a couple pieces of uncooked spaghetti noodles to form a make shift ladder for the little buggers to get into the jar. AND BAM there is now HUNDREDS of ants going into the jar divouring the stuff, I dont know how long it will take to kill them but man I hope soon!! I opted to go with the baby food jars w/ lids because I have dogs that would lick it up if it were in an open container. You can put these inside, outside, or inbetween for under $10. 🙂 Hope this helps!! PS Yes, the corn syrup mixture hardens up a bit but the ants dont seem to mind and all.

Comment by Anonymous — Oct 2nd 2012 @ 1:36 pm
  64. Just wondering if this would work for me..seems like an American thing..I live in New Zealand and have an ant issue in my bedroom. Very annoying as they will go after ANYTHING..not just the sweet stuff (which I have removed from my room), they will even go after my tissues after I have blown my nose which is rather gross. This morning I woke to find them hoving my earrings…any helpful tips will be greatly appreciated!!

Comment by Anonymous — Jan 27th 2013 @ 5:45 pm
  65. It’s fantastic that you are getting ideas from this article as well as from our dialogue made here.

Comment by Anonymous — Apr 16th 2013 @ 5:50 pm
  66. hi/ Iamresearching for Macrwave kills all ants speashalley living in trees
    where can Ifine that
    how much the price
    howmany the size can deep if treated by heat In side wood ore trees

Comment by Anonymous — Apr 21st 2013 @ 5:34 am
  67. Thank you very much for this detailed post on how to get rid of ants. I must admit that ants are annoying to have around your home. There are definitely quite a number of ways to deal with them but i would recommend the use of insecticides

Comment by Anonymous — Apr 28th 2013 @ 8:07 am
  68. I have used borax mixed with honey and water and they go insane for it. in one day I noticed the nest outside has consistently slowed down. I am continuing to bait and using windex on the little bastards that get into the cupboards ruining cereal, crackers, bread and cookies still in unopened packaging. We store everything opened in the fridge. Hopefully by winter they will all be gone. This house we moved into is over 130 years old and the yard has several nests. Exterminator sprayed and baited outside but we got so much rain it just washed it away.

Comment by Anonymous — Jun 13th 2013 @ 11:23 pm
  69. Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wished to say
    that I have truly enjoyed surfing around your blog posts.
    In any case I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again very soon!

Comment by Anonymous — Aug 7th 2013 @ 2:04 pm
  70. The main thing that I was concerned with was the boric acid and the kids. But you’re right. Let the ants take it back to their home, so they can spread it around themselves and kill it in the inside.

Comment by Anonymous — Aug 31st 2013 @ 3:27 pm
  71. I read somewhere else that lemon lysol helps too. The only time I’ve had problems with ants in electrical is when I caulked and/or sprayed their other entrances, I don’t mind them outside away from the house but I really don’t want to sleep with or share the kitchen with them. I suspect they’re only after water as I’ve seen them go down into the sink and come back out when nothing else is available to them.

Comment by Anonymous — Jun 1st 2015 @ 9:29 am
  72. Spray Windex on ants in the kitchen. Kaput!

Comment by Anonymous — Oct 17th 2015 @ 3:33 pm
  73. I have little tiny ants in my microwave. They come out of the holes inside every time you try to use it. Any ideas on how to kill them or should I get another microwave

Comment by Anonymous — May 10th 2016 @ 6:05 pm
  74. Carpenter ants HATE salt Argentine ants we have more than Argentina! You’ll never get rid of them but you can administrate population control. The boric acid sugar baits in extremely liberal bait station placement on trails is Good.also they will go insane on balogna skins in trash so I make boric acid,balogna bait by making balogna and boric paste in blender, they go crazy devouring it. And use Bayer lawn and garden insect killer concentrate for pump sprayer.6 ounces to gallon h2o. Spray bade boards around bottom outside house and anything they climb, hose it good and they disappear from in house really fast and won’t come back for at least a month. Rake up ALL leaves, any debris as they’ll start to colonize under anything u put on ground,sometimes in minutes.

Comment by Anonymous — Jul 25th 2016 @ 6:30 am