Bank Deal: Earn 1.00% APY on an FDIC-insured savings account at Barclays Bank.
Over the weekend, I was thinking about what my biggest vices are when it comes to staying healthy. As it turns out, my #1 health and fitness vice is also my #1 financial vice — eating out at lunch time. As I noted over at Fit36 (my health/fitness site), I really enjoy escaping the office and grabbing some lunch at a local eatery.
Unfortunately, eating out inevitably translates into less healthy meals and considerably larger expenditures than if I just packed a lunch. Assuming I do this 3-4 times a week, and estimating the “overage” at $5-7/meal, we’re looking at roughly a grand in extra lunchtime expenditures.
Add to that our tendency to eat out as a family once or twice on weekends and you’re talking about a decent chunk of change. A much cheap and healthier, but still enjoyable alternative (at least for the weekday lunch ritual) would be to pack a lunch and then skip out of the office when it’s time to eat.
What about you? What’s your biggest financial vice?
If you’re a blogger, feel free to write your own article about this. Just be sure to let me know so I can link to it.
Contributions from elsewhere
- How to Become a Millionaire
- How to Get Out of Debt
- The Best Dollars I've Ever Spent
- How Our Estate Plan is Structured
- How We Paid Our Mortgage In Less than 10 Years
- Money Making Ideas
- How to Manage Your Asset Allocation with Multiple Accounts
- Consumption Smoothing - Save While the Saving's Good
- How to Save on Groceries
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need?
- Eleven Great Books About Money
- Dave Ramsey is Bad at Math (692)
- Dish Network Customer Service SUCKS (534)
- $8,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (429)
- Pay Off Mortgage Early or Invest? (424)
- How to Claim the First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit (352)
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor (325)
- How Much Should You Pay a Babysitter? (284)
- Ethanol Blended Gas = Lower Mileage? (272)
- Reduced Credit Limits? Share Your Experience (256)
- $15,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (242)
- Buying Furniture off the Back of a Truck (227)
- Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007? (191)