Bank Deal: Earn 1.00% APY on an FDIC-insured savings account at Barclays Bank.
Every once in awhile I get a comment that just make me shake my head. Take, for instance, this one (edited for grammar and clarity) that an anonymous reader left on my article about asking for a discount:
Don’t ask for discounts. It’s just tacky and rude. If you’re known as the “discount” person, you will get worse service because you’re not proftiable. Being cheap ruins the economy. Every “little” discount builds up and forces companies to downsize and in turn raise prices to compensate for discounts. Take a basic economics class and you will easily see how asking for discounts hurt America.
For background, I was in the market for a dehumidifier. I picked one out online, verified that Lowes had it in stock, and headed across town to pick it up. Upon my arrival, I learned that they didn’t actually have it in stock, but they did have the next bigger size. Disappointed, I asked if they’d sell me the bigger (and more expensive) model at a discount to make it right. They agreed, I bought it, and everyone was happy. After all, it’s a free market.
So… What do you think? Is it okay to ask for a discount? Or is it un-American to be careful with your money? Hmmm… Given the negative savings rate in this country, maybe it is un-American. Perhaps by saving money, we’re letting the terrorists win.
What say you?
- How to Become a Millionaire
- How to Get Out of Debt
- The Best Dollars I've Ever Spent
- How Our Estate Plan is Structured
- How We Paid Our Mortgage In Less than 10 Years
- Money Making Ideas
- How to Manage Your Asset Allocation with Multiple Accounts
- Consumption Smoothing - Save While the Saving's Good
- How to Save on Groceries
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need?
- Eleven Great Books About Money
- Dave Ramsey is Bad at Math (692)
- Dish Network Customer Service SUCKS (534)
- $8,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (429)
- Pay Off Mortgage Early or Invest? (424)
- How to Claim the First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit (352)
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor (325)
- How Much Should You Pay a Babysitter? (284)
- Ethanol Blended Gas = Lower Mileage? (272)
- Reduced Credit Limits? Share Your Experience (256)
- $15,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (242)
- Buying Furniture off the Back of a Truck (227)
- Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007? (191)