Bank Deal: Earn 1.00% APY on an FDIC-insured savings account at Barclays Bank.
Over the past several weeks, I’ve received a number of comments and e-mails from readers wondering what would happen to their mortgage if their banks fails. Is the loan terminated? Do they have to pay it back immediately? Or do they get to walk away free and clear? In short, the answer to all three questions is an emphatic “no.”
From the bank’s perspective, your mortgage is an income-producing asset, and it can be sold to another institution at any time. In fact, this is quite commonplace. For example, all of our mortgages (four total, including two related to refinancing) have been sold off by the originating institution within a few months. The good news is that the terms of the mortgage do not change when this happens.
Returning to the issue of bank failures, if the bank that holds your mortgage were to fail, the FDIC would step in and oversee the sale of their assets to another institution. Your mortgage would thus be transferred to a different lender, but the terms would remain the same. Shortly after the transfer, the new lender should contact with you instructions as to how and where to make your payments. Mortgage transfers are accompanied by a 60 day grace period during which you cannot be charged a late fee.
As an aside, the current financial turmoil seems like a great opportunity for scammers. Given all the news about banks on the edge of failure, I’m sure it wouldn’t take much to convince unsuspecting homeowners to send their mortgage payment elsewhere. So… If you receive a letter directing you to change where you’re sending your payments, be sure to double-check before acting on it.
- How to Become a Millionaire
- How to Get Out of Debt
- The Best Dollars I've Ever Spent
- How Our Estate Plan is Structured
- How We Paid Our Mortgage In Less than 10 Years
- Money Making Ideas
- How to Manage Your Asset Allocation with Multiple Accounts
- Consumption Smoothing - Save While the Saving's Good
- How to Save on Groceries
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need?
- Eleven Great Books About Money
- Dave Ramsey is Bad at Math (692)
- Dish Network Customer Service SUCKS (534)
- $8,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (429)
- Pay Off Mortgage Early or Invest? (424)
- How to Claim the First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit (352)
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor (325)
- How Much Should You Pay a Babysitter? (284)
- Ethanol Blended Gas = Lower Mileage? (272)
- Reduced Credit Limits? Share Your Experience (256)
- $15,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (242)
- Buying Furniture off the Back of a Truck (227)
- Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007? (191)