Weekly Roundup – New Wallet Edition

Over the weekend, I finally decided to replace my wallet. My previous wallet was so old that I can’t remember when I bought it. It’s held up well, but it was time for a change. When it comes to wallet shopping, I always head to TJ Maxx or Marshalls, as they always have a big (but somewhat random) collection of nice wallets for cheap. This time around, I found a really nice bi-fold leather wallet for ten bucks. Not too shabby. In fact, I liked it so much that I bought two.

And now, some recent articles that caught my eye…

Cap asked his readers if they learned anything about personal finance in school. Interestingly, 83% said no.

SVB took a look at how the presidential candidates would affect your pocketbook.

Jim put together a collection of the best CD rates at national banks. On a related note, I noticed that PenFed is currently offering 5% APY for 3, 4, 5, and 7 year CDs.

Lazy Man talked about the worst gifts he’s ever gotten.

Flexo talked about his recent experiences try to “buy the dips” in the stock market. In short, it hasn’t worked very well.

MBH came up with ten different ways to visualize $10 trillion, which is the the current size of the national debt.

Finally, Mrs. Micah put together a brief overview of asset allocation. Check it out. It’s a good read, especially given the recent market turmoil.

Published on October 13th, 2008 - 7 Comments
Filed under: Link Love

1. Thanks for the link!

Comment by Anonymous — Oct 13th 2008 @ 11:27 pm
  2. Thanks for the link love!

Comment by Anonymous — Oct 14th 2008 @ 12:07 am
  3. Not to start off topic, but on the subject of wallets, I have one like this:
    It’s a great attention getter when I pay for stuff.

Comment by Anonymous — Oct 14th 2008 @ 12:08 am
  4. ^You’re pretty brave Steven!

Speaking of wallets, I was planning on getting one but people have been telling me to get a money clip instead. So I’ve just started looking into them……hm.

Comment by Anonymous — Oct 14th 2008 @ 1:52 am
  5. Hi, I’ve just found your site (I think I’ve been living under a rock!) and it looks great. So much info! I’m going to keep reading along. I like the articles you’ve linked to here 🙂

Comment by Anonymous — Oct 14th 2008 @ 6:19 am
  6. I use a money clip when overseas sometimes because I use cash more than anything else. Mainly, though, I use and prefer small wallets since I don’t carry many cards or money in my wallet, and because mine doesn’t look obtuse when i stick it in my front pocket. Mine is a LV Taiga leather 2.9″x4.3″ “pocket organizer”, which is perfect, because you can fold USD in half on one side, stick a few business cards on the same side, and on the other my 1xcc, 1xdebit, 1xdriver license and 2 photos of my wife and I. Yeah, I know it costs a lot, but I just haven’t been able to find the right combination of pockets, size, and leather until I found it.

Comment by Anonymous — Oct 14th 2008 @ 7:08 pm
  7. I wish I had caught you before you bought your wallet. One of the best gifts I have gotten is a thin wallet from All-ett. It’s cut the bulk in half.

Comment by Anonymous — Oct 15th 2008 @ 7:00 pm