Bank Deal: Earn 1.00% APY on an FDIC-insured savings account at Barclays Bank.
While a great many Americans have been focusing on the possibility of another stimulus check, the $1000 Emergency Energy Rebate has been flying a bit under the radar. In case you’re not aware, President-Elect Obama has floated the idea of enacting a windfall profits tax on “excessive oil company profits” in order to fund an immediate $1,000 emergency energy rebate for American families.
While it remains to be seen whether or not such an idea would gain traction given the recent (and dramatic) drop in energy prices, it’s still listed on Obama’s website. It was also listed as one of the energy-related agenda items on Change.gov as recently as last Friday, though all of the agenda items (not just energy-related) have since been removed.
What do you think of this idea?
I have to admit that it’s not entirely clear to me how this is an energy issue. Sure, it would be done in the name of high energy costs, but it really wouldn’t be any different than a second stimulus check. And besides, wouldn’t you expect the oil companies to simply pass the added cost of the windfall tax on to the consumers?
- How to Become a Millionaire
- How to Get Out of Debt
- The Best Dollars I've Ever Spent
- How Our Estate Plan is Structured
- How We Paid Our Mortgage In Less than 10 Years
- Money Making Ideas
- How to Manage Your Asset Allocation with Multiple Accounts
- Consumption Smoothing - Save While the Saving's Good
- How to Save on Groceries
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need?
- Eleven Great Books About Money
- Dave Ramsey is Bad at Math (692)
- Dish Network Customer Service SUCKS (534)
- $8,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (429)
- Pay Off Mortgage Early or Invest? (424)
- How to Claim the First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit (352)
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor (325)
- How Much Should You Pay a Babysitter? (284)
- Ethanol Blended Gas = Lower Mileage? (272)
- Reduced Credit Limits? Share Your Experience (256)
- $15,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (242)
- Buying Furniture off the Back of a Truck (227)
- Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007? (191)