Bank Deal: Earn 1.00% APY on an FDIC-insured savings account at Barclays Bank.
As we head into the final shopping weekend before Christmas, I just wanted to share a few tips for enjoying your holiday season without breaking the bank. If you’ve already broken the bank, no worries… You can always file this away for next year. 🙂
- Consider cutting back. Instead of exchanging gifts with anyone an everyone, why not establish some gift-giving limits? Draw names, keep it in the family, limit it to just the kids, etc.
- Make a budget (and stick to it). Every year just when I think I’m done shopping, a great gift idea pops into my head. And when that happens, guess what? I go back out and shop just a little bit more. While we haven’t really formulated a detailed budget this year, I’m still going to make a conscious effort to actually stop when I’m done.
- Consider re-gifting. You have to be careful here. While re-gifting can be a good option, there are a couple of things to keep in mind. First, only do it if you think the recipient will genuinely appreciate the gift. Second, keep it out of the same social circle, and don’t do it with one-of-a-kind items.
- Give homemade gifts. I recently put together a list of ideas for homemade christmas gifts. If done right, this can be a great way of creating very meaningful gifts while saving money at the same time.
- Consider charitable giving. If really want to get that holiday spirit, consider helping out your charity. I’ve previously listed some ideas for charitable giving that don’t require any money.
- Spend time with your family. More than anything, what you and your loved ones will really remember from this (and every) holiday season is that time that you spent together and the things that you did. So… Make a point of spending quality time with your family and friends.
And with that… Have a great weekend!
- How to Become a Millionaire
- How to Get Out of Debt
- The Best Dollars I've Ever Spent
- How Our Estate Plan is Structured
- How We Paid Our Mortgage In Less than 10 Years
- Money Making Ideas
- How to Manage Your Asset Allocation with Multiple Accounts
- Consumption Smoothing - Save While the Saving's Good
- How to Save on Groceries
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need?
- Eleven Great Books About Money
- Dave Ramsey is Bad at Math (692)
- Dish Network Customer Service SUCKS (534)
- $8,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (429)
- Pay Off Mortgage Early or Invest? (424)
- How to Claim the First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit (352)
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor (325)
- How Much Should You Pay a Babysitter? (284)
- Ethanol Blended Gas = Lower Mileage? (272)
- Reduced Credit Limits? Share Your Experience (256)
- $15,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (242)
- Buying Furniture off the Back of a Truck (227)
- Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007? (191)