Adjust Text Size

Social Security Taxes in 2009

Written by Nickel - 6 Comments

A few days ago, I wrote about the FICA-OASDI and FICA-HI taxes. For those that missed it, the former goes toward Social Security whereas the latter goes toward Medicare.

As I noted in that article, Social Security taxes are capped, such that (assuming you make enough money) you only have to pay this tax on a portion of your income. In 2008, the cap kicked in at $102,000, but…

In 2009, the cap is increasing by $4,800. As such, you’re on the hook for Social Security taxes on your first $106,800 in earned income but, beyond that, you only have to pay the Medicare portion.

Published on January 9th, 2009 - 6 Comments
Filed under: Taxes

About the author: is the founder and editor-in-chief of this site. He's a thirty-something family man who has been writing about personal finance since 2005, and guess what? He's on Twitter!

Related articles...

» Social Security Taxes in 2010
» Social Security Taxes in 2008
» Social Security Benefits to Increase in 2012
» The 2013 Social Security Cost-of-Living Adjustment
» The Social Security Tax Ceiling
» What are the FICA Taxes?
» Payroll Tax Holiday on the Way Out?
» Federal Income Tax Rates Went Down but Your Federal Tax Withholding Increased. Here’s Why…

Was this article useful? Please sign up to receive our content via e-mail:

You will receive only the daily updates, and can unsubscribe at anytime.

6 Responses to “Social Security Taxes in 2009”

  1. 1
    Miss M Says:

    I just squeeked over the limit last year, you gotta love that 6% raise at the end of the year. But I doubt my raise this year will be enough to keep up with the adjustment, most companies are cutting back on raises.

  2. 2
    thomas Says:

    How does this work with married people?

  3. 3
    nickel Says:

    As I understand it, this limit is on a per-individual basis.

  4. 4
    julie Says:

    It’s ridiculus they took double in social security taxes from me than federal taxes i almost passed out when i looked at my check.

  5. 5
    jim Says:

    my ytd is over $106k,but I’m still paying ss tax , but I take advantage of medical flex and parking tax free bene from my job. Do i have deduct that from my ytd
    that would make the numbers right.

  6. 6
    Nicole Molina-Carrazco Says:

    Do you get back OASDI taxes when you file income tax?

Leave a Reply

Because rates and offers from advertisers shown on this website change frequently, please visit referenced sites for current information. This website may be compensated by companies mentioned through advertising, affiliate programs or otherwise.
FiveCentNickel User Survey