Bank Deal: Earn 1.00% APY on an FDIC-insured savings account at Barclays Bank.
The other day, I wrote about current mortgage refinance rates. Guess what? In the time since I wrote that articles, rates have continue to fall. In fact, Zillow showed average rates of as low as 4.71% for 30 year fixed rate mortgages as this morning (it’s frequently updated, so your results may vary), and Bankrate is reporting an overnight average of 5.08% for 30 year mortgages. Either way, it’s clear that mortgage rates are very, very low right now.
Of course, if you’re trying to decide when to refinance, then the key question is whether or not they’ll head even lower. Since I don’t have a crystal ball for this sort of thing, I have to rely on things like Bankrate’s Rate Trend Index, which currently states that “Rates are likely to head lower” over the next 30-45 days. Just keep in mind that the RTI is far from foolproof, as it’s simply a summary of the opinions of a panel of experts.
My advice is that, if you’re thinking about refinancing, get a ballpark estimate of how much it’ll cost you to do so. With that in hand, you can estimate your “Payback Period” (i.e., how long it will take to recoup your closing costs). If the payback period is too long (or if you don’t plan on staying in your house for very long), then it doesn’t make sense to refinance no matter how enticing the rates seem to be. But if the payback period makes sense, then go for it. Just try not to look back with regret if rates dip further after you pull the trigger.
- How to Become a Millionaire
- How to Get Out of Debt
- The Best Dollars I've Ever Spent
- How Our Estate Plan is Structured
- How We Paid Our Mortgage In Less than 10 Years
- Money Making Ideas
- How to Manage Your Asset Allocation with Multiple Accounts
- Consumption Smoothing - Save While the Saving's Good
- How to Save on Groceries
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need?
- Eleven Great Books About Money
- Dave Ramsey is Bad at Math (693)
- Dish Network Customer Service SUCKS (536)
- $8,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (429)
- Pay Off Mortgage Early or Invest? (424)
- How to Claim the First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit (352)
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor (329)
- How Much Should You Pay a Babysitter? (286)
- Ethanol Blended Gas = Lower Mileage? (272)
- Reduced Credit Limits? Share Your Experience (256)
- $15,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (242)
- Buying Furniture off the Back of a Truck (236)
- Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007? (191)