Bank Deal: Earn 1.00% APY on an FDIC-insured savings account at Barclays Bank.
Yikes! I just realized that I forgot to pay the 4th quarterly installment of our 2008 estimated taxes, which were due on January 15th. After the initial panic subsided, I did a bit of digging and was relieved to find out that it’s really not a big deal. Here’s the straight dope from Fairmark.com:
Penalty for Underpayment
What happens if you don’t pay enough, or don’t pay soon enough.
If you don’t pay enough estimated tax, or don’t pay on time, you’ll have to pay a penalty. It’s best to avoid this penalty, of course â€” but you don’t have to lose sleep over it. The penalty is equivalent to nondeductible interest on the amount you underpaid, for the period of the underpayment. If you underpay only a small amount, or you correct the underpayment quickly, the penalty will be small.
Based on that, it looks like we’ll be on the hook for two days of interest, which shouldn’t be a big deal. In fact, I’ve heard that the IRS doesn’t even bother billing for this if the amount is small enough. That makes sense, I guess, as it costs them money to print and mail an invoice and then handle the payment when it comes in.
Note that you’re exempt from penalties on a late Q4 payment if you’ve already paid in at least as much as your previous year’s total tax bill, or if you file your taxes and pay the full amount due by February 2, 2009.
- How to Become a Millionaire
- How to Get Out of Debt
- The Best Dollars I've Ever Spent
- How Our Estate Plan is Structured
- How We Paid Our Mortgage In Less than 10 Years
- Money Making Ideas
- How to Manage Your Asset Allocation with Multiple Accounts
- Consumption Smoothing - Save While the Saving's Good
- How to Save on Groceries
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need?
- Eleven Great Books About Money
- Dave Ramsey is Bad at Math (692)
- Dish Network Customer Service SUCKS (534)
- $8,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (429)
- Pay Off Mortgage Early or Invest? (424)
- How to Claim the First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit (352)
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor (325)
- How Much Should You Pay a Babysitter? (284)
- Ethanol Blended Gas = Lower Mileage? (272)
- Reduced Credit Limits? Share Your Experience (256)
- $15,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (242)
- Buying Furniture off the Back of a Truck (228)
- Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007? (191)