Bank Deal: Earn 1.00% APY on an FDIC-insured savings account at Barclays Bank.
I don’t know why, but I’ve been getting free issues of a magazine called Time Out Chicago for the past few weeks. It sums up what’s going on in the city, things to do, good deals to be had, and other stuff.
This week, the cover feature was “Make Money: 44 Ways to Score Cash Fast.” I figured I’d thumb through it and find a bunch of tried and true tips for earning extra money, or maybe some money saving ideas — the kinds of things that you see on personal finance blogs all over the ‘net.
Instead, I found some ideas that I had never heard of before, and I wanted to highlight them here. Some are wacky, some are kinky, and some are downright ridiculous. But who knows, if these people are doing it, maybe you can too:
- Polish your acting skills. Head to the hospital and pretend that you have a ruptured spleen or a busted johnson (my personal favorite). Hey, Kramer did it on Seinfeld, and all he had to do was get gonorrhea. $14â€“$35/hour.
- Sell your underwear on online. Hey, if people are willing to buy chewed-up gum and potato chips that look like the Virgin Mary, why not panties? $15 apiece.
- Sex talk. Phone sex operators can make some pretty good money and all you need is a landline and your imagination. This reminds me of poor Adam Sandler in Punch Drunk Love… Scamming potential clients would probably be more lucrative. $9â€“$20/hour.
- Take off your pants and jacket. Donating sperm is still in vogue, and can net you $25 per deposit. For the ladies: you can donate your eggs for $7,000â€“$10,000… But you’ll have to go under for it. Scary.
- Sell plasma. Giving blood is always fun, but at $20â€“$30 for two hours, I don’t know if it’s worth it. Plus the needles and the blood…
- Be a script writer. This one appealed to me because I’m a writer, but this is simply transcribing stuff. If you can type and have your own equipment (a PC should suffice) then you can rake in $16â€“$20/hour. The pros can charge from $110â€“$165, so make sure you underbid them.
- Special delivery. One guy runs a site called The Kinky Llama, and he delivers sex products on his bike. Anywhere, anytime. Sound crazy? He probably is, but he makes about $1,500/week. Not bad… Let’s hope he doesn’t drop his cargo all over the street though â€” it could be scary.
- Get hitched. Marrying for money has a price tag, and apparently it’s between $5,000 and $50,000. Of course, you have to go through all the hassle, and maybe even kiss the person to convince the authorities, but if you’re desperate I guess it’s an option.
- Get naked. This is probably the easiest tip of all. Nude models just have to stand there and hold a pose while ersatz painters ogle them. You can make $15/hour, but I don’t know if I could stand still long enough to make it worth my while. At least it would motivate me to go to the gym more often.
I’m curious how many people out there would actually try out these tips. If you’re interested in any of them, just do a little research and I’m sure you’ll find something similar in your area. If you do, then be sure to come back and tell us how it went… As long as it isn’t too embarrassing.
- How to Become a Millionaire
- How to Get Out of Debt
- The Best Dollars I've Ever Spent
- How Our Estate Plan is Structured
- How We Paid Our Mortgage In Less than 10 Years
- Money Making Ideas
- How to Manage Your Asset Allocation with Multiple Accounts
- Consumption Smoothing - Save While the Saving's Good
- How to Save on Groceries
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need?
- Eleven Great Books About Money
- Dave Ramsey is Bad at Math (692)
- Dish Network Customer Service SUCKS (535)
- $8,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (429)
- Pay Off Mortgage Early or Invest? (424)
- How to Claim the First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit (352)
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor (326)
- How Much Should You Pay a Babysitter? (284)
- Ethanol Blended Gas = Lower Mileage? (272)
- Reduced Credit Limits? Share Your Experience (256)
- $15,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (242)
- Buying Furniture off the Back of a Truck (230)
- Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007? (191)