Bank Deal: Earn 1.00% APY on an FDIC-insured savings account at Barclays Bank.
Not quite a year ago, I reported that Congress was considering suspending the required minimum distribution (RMD) requirement for retirees. The reason for this is that the stock market had just collapsed, and they didn’t want retirees being forced to liquidate holdings at the bottom.
While Congress ultimately acted, it was a classic case of too little, too late. What I mean by this is that they did wind up suspending the RMD, but they did so for 2009 instead of 2008.
What is the RMD?
Just to remind you, the RMD is the minimum amount that retirement account holders must withdraw from their tax-deferred accounts when they hit the age of 70-1/2. Your RMD is based on what was in your account on the last day of the previous year, so…
If the market tanks, you’ll need to withdraw a disproportionately large amount from your account
Should you skip your RMD?
To me, the issue of whether or not you should skip your RMD in 2009 hinges on your circumstances. If you need the money to get by, then you don’t have much of a choice.
If, on the other hand, you don’t have a compelling need, you should seriously consider leaving the money in place. Tax-deferred retirement accounts are powerful tools. By leaving your money in place, you’ll avoid paying additional taxes this year, and your investments will have even more time to recover.
If you’ve already taken your RMD in 2009 and wish you hadn’t, you might be in luck. As long as you get the money back into your IRA within 60 days, you can “undo” the withdrawal.
- How to Become a Millionaire
- How to Get Out of Debt
- The Best Dollars I've Ever Spent
- How Our Estate Plan is Structured
- How We Paid Our Mortgage In Less than 10 Years
- Money Making Ideas
- How to Manage Your Asset Allocation with Multiple Accounts
- Consumption Smoothing - Save While the Saving's Good
- How to Save on Groceries
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need?
- Eleven Great Books About Money
- Dave Ramsey is Bad at Math (692)
- Dish Network Customer Service SUCKS (534)
- $8,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (429)
- Pay Off Mortgage Early or Invest? (424)
- How to Claim the First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit (352)
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor (325)
- How Much Should You Pay a Babysitter? (284)
- Ethanol Blended Gas = Lower Mileage? (272)
- Reduced Credit Limits? Share Your Experience (256)
- $15,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (242)
- Buying Furniture off the Back of a Truck (227)
- Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007? (191)