Bank Deal: Earn 1.00% APY on an FDIC-insured savings account at Barclays Bank.
This just in… The House of Representatives has voted to extend — and expand — the first time homebuyer tax credit.
Extending the $8000 credit, adding a $6500 credit
According to the NY Times:
The bill extends an $8,000 tax credit for first-time home buyers that was due to expire on Nov. 30, making it available to those who have a contract before May 1 on a primary residence priced at up to $800,000. The bill also creates a new credit of up to $6,500 for existing homeowners who buy a new residence if they have lived in their current one for at least five of the last eight years.
The income limits for the homebuyer tax credit are also going up, from $75k/$150k for individuals/couples to $125k/$225k. Beyond that, the credit phases out. This extension/expansion is projected to cost nearly $11B.
Extending unemployment benefits
This bill also extends unemployment benefits, as follows:
The measure [also] provides up to 14 weeks of additional assistance to unemployed people who have exhausted their state and federal benefits, but up to 20 additional weeks to those in about 26 states with unemployment rates exceeding 8.5 percent.
The President is expected to sign this bill into law as early as tomorrow (Friday). Also if you’re in the market for a mortgage, you can compare current mortgage rates here.
Source: NY Times
- How to Become a Millionaire
- How to Get Out of Debt
- The Best Dollars I've Ever Spent
- How Our Estate Plan is Structured
- How We Paid Our Mortgage In Less than 10 Years
- Money Making Ideas
- How to Manage Your Asset Allocation with Multiple Accounts
- Consumption Smoothing - Save While the Saving's Good
- How to Save on Groceries
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need?
- Eleven Great Books About Money
- Dave Ramsey is Bad at Math (692)
- Dish Network Customer Service SUCKS (534)
- $8,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (429)
- Pay Off Mortgage Early or Invest? (424)
- How to Claim the First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit (352)
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor (325)
- How Much Should You Pay a Babysitter? (284)
- Ethanol Blended Gas = Lower Mileage? (272)
- Reduced Credit Limits? Share Your Experience (256)
- $15,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (242)
- Buying Furniture off the Back of a Truck (227)
- Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007? (191)