Bank Deal: Earn 1.00% APY on an FDIC-insured savings account at Barclays Bank.
Last night, I finally got around to opening a TreasuryDirect account. For those that aren’t familiar with TreasuryDirect, it’s the web portal for investing in Treasury securities. As I noted a few weeks back, I’m interested in buying some Series I Savings Bonds – this was the first step.
Stuff you’ll need
Before you begin, be sure that you have the following at your disposal:
- Your Taxpayer ID number (TIN). For individuals, that’s your Social Security Number (SSN), for entities that’s your Employer ID Number (EIN).
- Driver’s License or State ID number and expiration date
- Bank routing and account number
- IRS Name Control – Whatever that is… Only required for legal entities
Three easy steps
Once you’re ready, there are three basic steps:
- Choose your account type
- Fill out your personal and banking information
- Choose a password, password reminder, and security questions/answers
Once you’re done, they’ll send you an account number via e-mail as well as an “Access Card” via snail mail. You’ll actually need that Access Card to login, so plan ahead.
I had planned on doing screenshots of the process, but it was so easy that it didn’t warrant them. They say it will take ten minutes, but it was more like three. I actually set up two accounts, one for me and one for my wife (you can’t do a joint account), and the confirmation e-mail showed up within seconds.
I’ll update once the Access Cards have arrived and we’ve had a chance to poke around a bit.
- How to Become a Millionaire
- How to Get Out of Debt
- The Best Dollars I've Ever Spent
- How Our Estate Plan is Structured
- How We Paid Our Mortgage In Less than 10 Years
- Money Making Ideas
- How to Manage Your Asset Allocation with Multiple Accounts
- Consumption Smoothing - Save While the Saving's Good
- How to Save on Groceries
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need?
- Eleven Great Books About Money
- Dave Ramsey is Bad at Math (693)
- Dish Network Customer Service SUCKS (536)
- $8,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (429)
- Pay Off Mortgage Early or Invest? (424)
- How to Claim the First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit (352)
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor (329)
- How Much Should You Pay a Babysitter? (286)
- Ethanol Blended Gas = Lower Mileage? (272)
- Reduced Credit Limits? Share Your Experience (256)
- $15,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (242)
- Buying Furniture off the Back of a Truck (235)
- Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007? (191)