Bank Deal: Earn 1.00% APY on an FDIC-insured savings account at Barclays Bank.
With Christmas now in the rearview mirror, I thought it would be interesting to talk about gift giving strategies. According to a recent blurb in Money Magazine, Joel Waldfogel (Wharton School economist) has argued the following about gift-giving:
“The problem with buying presents is that it’s economically inefficient. When I spend $100 on myself, there’s a good chance I’ll get something that will produce $100 worth of satisfaction to me. If somebody else spends $100 on me, and he doesn’t know what I like or what I already have, the gift is likely to be worth less to me — at least 20% less…”
Because of this, Waldfogel recommends giving gift cards instead of physical gifts to those that you don’t know very well. He goes on to say that:
“Presents are fine for close family and friends, but if you’re obligated to give a gift and have no idea what the person wants, you’re much more likely to destroy value by choosing the wrong present.”
So… I’ve written before about the disadvantages of gift cards. Now that you’ve just given and received a bunch of gifts, what do you think?
Speaking for myself, I just received a great gift in a “Secret Santa” gift exchange, but several people didn’t. Beyond this, we actually gave a couple of Amazon.com gift cards because we weren’t sure what the recipients would want.
In the end, this turned out to be a good decision, as the recipients loved the freedom that came along with their gift cards. Had we bought them actual gifts, I doubt they would have derived nearly as much value from whatever we picked out.
- How to Become a Millionaire
- How to Get Out of Debt
- The Best Dollars I've Ever Spent
- How Our Estate Plan is Structured
- How We Paid Our Mortgage In Less than 10 Years
- Money Making Ideas
- How to Manage Your Asset Allocation with Multiple Accounts
- Consumption Smoothing - Save While the Saving's Good
- How to Save on Groceries
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need?
- Eleven Great Books About Money
- Dave Ramsey is Bad at Math (693)
- Dish Network Customer Service SUCKS (536)
- $8,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (429)
- Pay Off Mortgage Early or Invest? (424)
- How to Claim the First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit (352)
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor (329)
- How Much Should You Pay a Babysitter? (288)
- Ethanol Blended Gas = Lower Mileage? (272)
- Reduced Credit Limits? Share Your Experience (256)
- $15,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (242)
- Buying Furniture off the Back of a Truck (237)
- Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007? (191)