Beware New Credit Card Fees

The most recent issue of Money Magazine had an interesting article about protecting yourself from new “credit card traps.” In it, they highlighted a number of changes that banks have introduced to improve their bottom line in the face of recent credit card legislation.

Three of the big fees changes that they highlighted were:

• Fees because you’re not spending enough. Some Citibank cardholders are apparently being hit by annual fee of $30-$90 if they spend less than $2400 per year on their card.
  • Fees because you’re not swiping enough. Some FigthThird cardholders are being hit with a $19 fee if they don’t use their card for a year.
  • Fees… Just because. Bank of America has introduced annual fees of $29-$99 on a variety of new and existing cards.

There have been a number of other charges, as well, including new or increased fees on balance transfer credit cards, fees for participating in credit card reward programs, and so on. In other words… Fees, fees, fees!

The lesson here is to keep a close eye on your credit cards, and be sure to read any mailing from your card issuer. What you don’t know can hurt you (or at least your pocketbook).

Source: CNN/Money

Published on February 25th, 2010 - 9 Comments
Filed under: Credit Cards

1. Regarding the fees being charged by Shiticard:

I received a letter from them pertaining to my At&T Universal card, which I’ve had since 2004. Never one late payment – very solid customer for them. On Apris 1st I will be billed an annual fee of $60. If I use the card for more than $2400 by next March 31, my fee will be refunded. So they get a 365 day loan from me, and basically hold me hostage so that everytime I reach for my wallet, I will be reaching for their card.

Two words: NO WAY!

I have not yet received a letter pertaining to my other Shiticard, but no matter – I am dumping both of them.

My recommendation is to dump every card from the BIG 5: Shiticard, Bank of UnAmerica, Chase, American Express, and Capitol Offense One.

Go with a card from your local credit union!

Comment by Anonymous — Feb 25th 2010 @ 6:10 pm
  2. Don’t you love government intervention? They always think they know what’s best for us, when all it does is hurt responsible citizens and polices up after all of the morons.

Comment by Anonymous — Feb 25th 2010 @ 8:09 pm
  3. @DB: No clever name for Chase or American Express? 🙂

It will be really important to keep an eye on the fine print with banks trying to find new ways to make up for the money they’re losing. We’ve got a series of blog posts up on the topic: http://www.lifetuner.org/blog-posts/tags/Fine%20print

Comment by Anonymous — Feb 25th 2010 @ 9:00 pm
  4. As a result of the CARD Act reforms that went into effect on February 22, credit card companies are projected to incur $12 billion in annual losses. But we all know that credit card companies are far too imaginative to let this happen. The reforms require the credit card companies to give you 45 days notice before rate increases, and those increases cannot be applied to existing debt unless you miss payments for 60 days. In addition, there have been new restrictions placed on how they can market to college students under 21 years old.

This all translates to nothing more than a bump in the road for card companies. Old methods of revenue generation will be replace by new ones in the form of lots of fee’s. Best bet is to clear your debts and watch your statements for any suspicious changes.

Comment by Anonymous — Feb 25th 2010 @ 9:41 pm
  5. LOL! There’s a response to “fees, fees, fees.” It’s “good-bye, good-bye, good-bye!”

Cash, debit cards, and checks still work.

Comment by Anonymous — Feb 26th 2010 @ 8:25 am
  6. I’ve been on this already. So far so good. 🙂

Comment by Anonymous — Feb 27th 2010 @ 2:11 am
  7. Here’s the thing. Getting your credit card from a major bank is a risk, and of course you’re going to start paying higher fees. I think more people should shop around for better rates from smaller banks or loan groups, read the fine print, and move on from there. Also, don’t get sucked into card amounts you know you’d never be able to pay off; that’s dynamite you don’t want to deal with.

Comment by Anonymous — Feb 28th 2010 @ 1:38 pm
  8. Just a warning – received statement from HSBC card supposedly eight days after the close of the billing cycle. Payment is due 10 days before next cycle which was moved from the 18th of the previous month to the 12th of the next month, and, if it truly took eight days to get to me, then ten days to get to them means I have to pay it on the day it is received – a new way to try to get some new fees and raise interest rates. I documented, wrote them and am in process of writing my attorney general. Anyone else encountered this?

Comment by Anonymous — Mar 27th 2010 @ 10:49 am
  9. I just got a notice of a $39 annual fee starting up for US Bank. It is a travisty in this country that a multi-billion dollar profit industry is permitted to charge a fee simply to maintain the card – offering no “premier” benefits in exchange (they also are not offering to refund the fee if a $$$ annual usage is met). I don’t care about canceling the card, which I will do, but I do think it is outrageous that my credit score will be hit by closing out the account! It’s a legalized hostage situation: either pay the fee being levied or cancel the card and take a hit on the credit score. I don’t care how “little” my credit score drops as a result, it still feels like “play our way or get slapped” to me.

Comment by Anonymous — Jan 30th 2012 @ 5:03 pm