Bank Deal: Earn 1.00% APY on an FDIC-insured savings account at Barclays Bank.
Last fall, my wife and I went into our nearest bank branch to set up a new savings account for a trust that we’re managing. While we were there, the “Personal Banker” told us about a promo that they were running that would give us a higher than typical interest rate.
I can’t remember the details, but it was something like 2%, when the prevailing savings account interest rates (especially at brick and mortar banks) were much lower. Not only that, but he said he could apply it to our existing personal savings account, as well.
When we got up to leave, he said that the promo rate would end in a few months, but that they’re always introducing new ones. Thus, if we’d just call back and ask, he’d go ahead and apply the code for the new promo rate to our accounts.
I recently called him back and he gave us the new promo rate. I forget the details, but it was significantly higher than their “standard” savings account interest rate. All we had to do was ask.
Oh, and just in case you’re thinking that we must have been dealing with some local bank, and that there’s no hope of getting this treatment from the behemoth bank that you’re dealing with… We do all of our “local” banking with Bank of America.
- How to Become a Millionaire
- How to Get Out of Debt
- The Best Dollars I've Ever Spent
- How Our Estate Plan is Structured
- How We Paid Our Mortgage In Less than 10 Years
- Money Making Ideas
- How to Manage Your Asset Allocation with Multiple Accounts
- Consumption Smoothing - Save While the Saving's Good
- How to Save on Groceries
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need?
- Eleven Great Books About Money
- Dave Ramsey is Bad at Math (693)
- Dish Network Customer Service SUCKS (536)
- $8,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (429)
- Pay Off Mortgage Early or Invest? (424)
- How to Claim the First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit (352)
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor (329)
- How Much Should You Pay a Babysitter? (288)
- Ethanol Blended Gas = Lower Mileage? (272)
- Reduced Credit Limits? Share Your Experience (256)
- $15,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (242)
- Buying Furniture off the Back of a Truck (237)
- Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007? (191)