Bank Deal: Earn 1.00% APY on an FDIC-insured savings account at Barclays Bank.
While money can’t buy happiness, it might just be able to reduce pain. That’s the finding of an interesting piece of research from the University of Minnesota. Apparently cash and reminders of cash can help to reduce physical and emotional pain.
Indeed, according to U of M researcher Kathleen Vohs:
“When people are reminded of money, it gives them an inner strength… and that means when they face challenges and adversity, after being freshly reminded of money, they’re able to handle them better.”
In one study, Vohs split her subjects into two test groups. One test group was handed money, whereas another was given slips of paper. They were then asked to put their hands in hot water and rate their level of pain.
Interestingly, the subjects in the cash group reported significantly lower discomfort than those in the plain paper group. In a related study, cash handlers who were later shunned by others while playing a computer game felt less excluded than the plain paper group.
Here’s a short video of Vohs describing some of her work:
As for possible applications of her findings, Vohs suggests that airlines should consider offering cash compensation instead of vouchers to travelers that experience unreasonable delays. Similarly, she thinks that doctors should consider providing patients with cash reminders to reduce discomfort.
What do you think? Does cash make you more tolerant of discomfort? Keep in mind that we’re not talking about getting paid here. Rather, it appears that just coming into contact with a bit of green is enough to have an effect.
- How to Become a Millionaire
- How to Get Out of Debt
- The Best Dollars I've Ever Spent
- How Our Estate Plan is Structured
- How We Paid Our Mortgage In Less than 10 Years
- Money Making Ideas
- How to Manage Your Asset Allocation with Multiple Accounts
- Consumption Smoothing - Save While the Saving's Good
- How to Save on Groceries
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need?
- Eleven Great Books About Money
- Dave Ramsey is Bad at Math (693)
- Dish Network Customer Service SUCKS (536)
- $8,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (429)
- Pay Off Mortgage Early or Invest? (424)
- How to Claim the First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit (352)
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor (329)
- How Much Should You Pay a Babysitter? (286)
- Ethanol Blended Gas = Lower Mileage? (272)
- Reduced Credit Limits? Share Your Experience (256)
- $15,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (242)
- Buying Furniture off the Back of a Truck (236)
- Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007? (191)