Bank Deal: Earn 1.00% APY on an FDIC-insured savings account at Barclays Bank.
Editor’s Note: This offer expired and is no longer available.
Guess what? Since I’m such a “valued cardmember,” Citi recently wrote to say that they’ve decided to “enhance” the rewards program associated with my Citi® Dividend Platinum Select® Visa® Card. Unfortunately, the enhancements described in such missives almost always end up being changes for the worse.
While this card has previously offered as much as 5% cash back from Citi on eligible “everyday” purchases (gas, groceries, and drugstores) plus 1% on all other purchases, in the past it has also had been paying 2% on such purchases (plus convenience stores and utilities) and 1% on everything else.
- The next quarterly bonus promotion begins on October 1, 2013, earn 5% cash back subject to quarterly spend cap, from Citi on eligible purchases this quarter and every quarter on changing categories like home improvement, travel and more. Enrollment is required each quarter, so watch for details before that date. To enroll in the bonus promotion, simply log into your account at citicards.com or call 1-800-231-0891
I’m not sure about you, but I don’t like keeping track of rotating categories, and I definitely don’t like having to sign up every quarter. If you do use a card like this, it’s probably a good idea to set up automated reminders so you don’t forget to re-enroll.
On the plus side, Citi has added both concierge service (never had a use for it) and price protection (potentially useful) to this card. In the end, however, I still prefer a straightforward cash back credit card like Blue Cash Everyday Card from American Express.
- How to Become a Millionaire
- How to Get Out of Debt
- The Best Dollars I've Ever Spent
- How Our Estate Plan is Structured
- How We Paid Our Mortgage In Less than 10 Years
- Money Making Ideas
- How to Manage Your Asset Allocation with Multiple Accounts
- Consumption Smoothing - Save While the Saving's Good
- How to Save on Groceries
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need?
- Eleven Great Books About Money
- Dave Ramsey is Bad at Math (692)
- Dish Network Customer Service SUCKS (534)
- $8,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (429)
- Pay Off Mortgage Early or Invest? (424)
- How to Claim the First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit (352)
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor (325)
- How Much Should You Pay a Babysitter? (284)
- Ethanol Blended Gas = Lower Mileage? (272)
- Reduced Credit Limits? Share Your Experience (256)
- $15,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (242)
- Buying Furniture off the Back of a Truck (227)
- Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007? (191)