Bank Deal: Earn 1.00% APY on an FDIC-insured savings account at Barclays Bank.
Have you ever wondered what you should do if you find a lost credit or debit card? We ran into this situation over the weekend, and I thought it would make for an interesting discussion topic.
Finding a lost card
We took the boys to see a movie on Saturday. My wife and I were out and about separately, so we decided to meet at the theater. She got there first with our oldest, so she went in to save seats.
As I walked our younger three across the parking lot, our five year old said “Daddy, there’s a credit card on the ground under Mommy’s car.” Sure enough, when I got down to his level, I spotted it.
When I fished it out, I discovered that it was actually a debit card. Unsure of what to do, I headed into the theater. I wasn’t comfortable turning in an active card at the box office, but I also didn’t want to just throw it away or hang onto it until later.
Doing the right thing
Our eight year old jokingly (I hope!) said “Cool, now we can financially ruin them.” But instead, I decided to do the right thing. I started by trying to look up the owner using my iPhone, but I came up empty.
Since the movie was about to start, I decided to call the number on the back of the card and simply report it as lost. Once I reached a rep – harder than you’d think without a PIN code – I told her I had found a card and wanted to report it lost.
The rep took down the number and said they’d place a hold on the account until they heard from the owner. I then turned the card in at the box office just in case the owner came back looking for it.
What would you have done?
So, dear readers… What would you have done if you were in my shoes? Left it lying there on the ground? Turned the card in at the box office? Called to cancel it? Cut it up and threw it away? Go on a shopping spree?
(I’m kidding about that last one.)
As an interesting aside, we found this card maybe 200 yards from where we found $1100 cash about 12 years ago. I guess we should hang out there more often!
- How to Become a Millionaire
- How to Get Out of Debt
- The Best Dollars I've Ever Spent
- How Our Estate Plan is Structured
- How We Paid Our Mortgage In Less than 10 Years
- Money Making Ideas
- How to Manage Your Asset Allocation with Multiple Accounts
- Consumption Smoothing - Save While the Saving's Good
- How to Save on Groceries
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need?
- Eleven Great Books About Money
- Dave Ramsey is Bad at Math (692)
- Dish Network Customer Service SUCKS (534)
- $8,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (429)
- Pay Off Mortgage Early or Invest? (424)
- How to Claim the First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit (352)
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor (325)
- How Much Should You Pay a Babysitter? (284)
- Ethanol Blended Gas = Lower Mileage? (272)
- Reduced Credit Limits? Share Your Experience (256)
- $15,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (242)
- Buying Furniture off the Back of a Truck (228)
- Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007? (191)