Bank Deal: Earn 1.00% APY on an FDIC-insured savings account at Barclays Bank.
With Christmas just over two weeks away, and with many family budgets being tighter than ever, I wanted to take a few minutes to revisit the idea of homemade Christmas gifts.
I’ve actually covered this topic in the past, and won’t re-hash all of the ideas here. Instead, I’ll just highlight a few of my favorites…
Homemade photo garland
A few years back, my wife laminated a bunch of small pictures of our kids, punched a small hole in the top edge, and then attached them to a bead garland with gold and silver thread. The end result was a very cute, customized garland that made a great gift for the grandparents.
Personalize photo calendar
This is another great gift for grandparents. Construct a calendar with personalized photos to depict the seasons, as well as to indicate birthdays and other major events. If you’re not particularly “crafty,” you can do this using a service like Shutterfly, or even Walmart, and have the finished product printed for relatively cheap.
Homemade jams, jellies, and sauces
There are few things in this world that I enjoy more than homemade jam. If you have a productive garden, why not share the bounty by making your own tomato sauce, barbecue sauce, jam, or jelly and sharing it with friends and family? Fill up a few mason jars, dress it up with a ribbon, and you have yourself a great gift.
Help around the house
This is probably my favorite… If you have older family members (elderly parents, grandparents, and so on), why not fix up some things around the house when you visit for the holidays. It will not only mean a lot to them, but it can save them a ton of money. I’m thinking here of things like minor plumbing tasks, etc.
If you have any ideas of your own, please share them in the comments.
- How to Become a Millionaire
- How to Get Out of Debt
- The Best Dollars I've Ever Spent
- How Our Estate Plan is Structured
- How We Paid Our Mortgage In Less than 10 Years
- Money Making Ideas
- How to Manage Your Asset Allocation with Multiple Accounts
- Consumption Smoothing - Save While the Saving's Good
- How to Save on Groceries
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need?
- Eleven Great Books About Money
- Dave Ramsey is Bad at Math (692)
- Dish Network Customer Service SUCKS (534)
- $8,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (429)
- Pay Off Mortgage Early or Invest? (424)
- How to Claim the First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit (352)
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor (325)
- How Much Should You Pay a Babysitter? (284)
- Ethanol Blended Gas = Lower Mileage? (272)
- Reduced Credit Limits? Share Your Experience (256)
- $15,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (242)
- Buying Furniture off the Back of a Truck (227)
- Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007? (191)