Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007?

Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007?

It’s no secret that I love Quicken. While it’s not perfect, it’s what I’ve come to depend on since I first started tracking our finances in January 1997. As such, I’ve accumulated a treasure trove of personal financial data, and I can’t stand the thought of losing it.

It’s also no secret that I’m a diehard Mac user, which means that I’ve been stuck with Quicken 2007 for quite some time. While the Windows side has seen upgrade after upgrade, Intuit has essentially abandoned development of its Mac counterpart. This hasn’t really bothered me, though, as Quicken 2007 already does everything that I need it to do.

Unfortunately, it appears that the next major Mac OS X system update (10.7; dubbed “Lion”) will relegate Quicken 2007 to the junk heap. The reason for this is that Apple is reportedly scrapping the Rosetta environment, which is necessary to run software that hasn’t been updated to support the Intel chip architecture.

I really can’t say that I blame Apple for making this move. After all, they began transitioning over to Intel chips way back at the beginning of 2006, which means that software developers have had five years to update their software to run on the new hardware. Unfortunately, Intuit hasn’t bothered to do this.

And yes, I realize that Intuit released Quicken Essentials for Mac about a year ago, but that is an entirely different program that is just a shadow of the full-blown Quicken. Gone are many many of the “advanced” features that I depend on, like any sort of detailed investment tracking. It’s now little more than a check register and budget tracker – and pretty much everyone hates it.

Don’t believe me? Check out the reviews at Amazon, where it’s averaging somewhere around 1.5 stars. Perhaps Intuit plans to restore feature parity between “Quicken Essentials” and real Quicken at some point in the future, but it’s looking more and more like Mac Quicken users will have to choose between upgrading their system software and continuing to use Quicken.

And before you suggest it… Yes, I also realize that I could buy the Windows version and run it on my Mac via Parallels, VMware Fusion, or the like. That being said, I’m not interested in continuing working around Intuit’s lack of Mac support. Instead, I’ll hunt down a suitable replacement and migrate my data elsewhere.

Published on March 3rd, 2011
Modified on March 5th, 2011 - 191 Comments
Filed under: Miscellany

1. Rob, San Francisco

1. Your best hope is to find someone who is running Quicken on Windows and ask them to go through the steps to export your file.

2. Quicken Essentials comes with a conversion package that will import QWin 2010. But once it is in QEss it is pretty much locked in there.

3. Quicken 2007 won’t run on Lion, and I presume your new machine is Lion, so you’ll be looking at a program, like iBank, that can import CSV or QIF. But Intuit doesn’t make that (much) possible.

4.Your best bet is to use a friend’s computer to run Quicken 2010 or so for Windows on your QDATA file, just to finish the three weeks of the year. Use Quicken’s excellent reports, and send all the data you might need, stock basis, etc., to printed reports.

5. Then begin 2012 with a clean install of iBank. If the old Quicken data is important, scan in the reports you generated from your friend’s computer.

6. If Quicken is really, REALLY important to you, MacMall still has a few Snow Leopard MacBook Airs, or you could buy used. You’d need Quicken 2007 for Mac, and probably have to find that from eBay. You could buy used. I tried and don’t recommend running Windows on a Mac to use Quicken. If you want to go that route, buy a cheap Windows box. Not THAT much more expensive than all the stuff you have to buy to run Windows on a Mac (including a new full Windows license, though you could try importing your old Dell into Parallels. Don’t know how that really works)

Comment by Anonymous — Dec 15th 2011 @ 1:50 pm
  2. (tried answering Rob from my iPhone browser, but it hasn’t posted, so I’ll repeat…forgive if this duplicates that post showing up late!)

Rob: you are in the same situation as I was…a long time Quicken Windows user switching to Mac. Many of these folks understandably resist on principle going to a Windows version of Quicken to run their finances, and I understand that. From my point of view, adding Parallels and installing Quicken WIndows on my Mac has been easy and totally trouble free. And I have the same financial program I’ve always been used to…no learning curve, no “translation” of files or exporting/importing data to a different versionof Quicken.

So I would heartily recommend you investigate running Parallels and installing the Quicken you’re used to. You can find the new Parallels 7 on Amazon for $42 and a brand new copy of Windows XP SP3 there also for $55 to $75. There are cogent arguments for not running XP but rather going to Windows 7 in your Parallels virtual machine, but those mainly apply to security considerations, and if all you are running parallels for is to run Quicken, XP will run it just fine and you won’t have any security exposures if all you do in Windows is access bank websites.

I am running Quicken 2011 now on Parallels Desktop 7 (recently upgraded from 6), and in Parallels “Coherence” mode on my Mac Book Pro it runs so fast and so well, right off my Mac app dock, that you would never know it wasn’t a native Mac program. And, if you like, you can even run it in “Mac Look” mode and make it very much like a native Mac program, though personally I am so used to Windows Quicken that I don’t do that.

Your total cost for getting a new copy of Quicken running in Parallels 7 under XP SP3 should be well under $200 (much less than a “Windows box”) and then you’ve got the added benefit of having WIndows available right on your computer if you’ve got some other “lagacy” programs you need or like that aren’t available for Mac. Just remember to either limit your XP virtual machine from non-secure web exposure and email OR run full WIndows mal-ware protection on your VM and keep your XP copy up to date on the Windows update site (Microsoft is supporting XP until 2014, and by then you’ll want to do something different anyway!).

I am very happy generally with my new Mac, but I am also very happy that I can still run Quicken in the form I am used to and do all the reporting and tax calculation that I depended on without having to relearn the ins and outs of a new finance program….though I know there are some good ones available for Mac. Despite some of the negative comments you’ve read above about the Parallels approach, I have found NO downside to it in operation and don’t see why anyone with a Mac wouldn’t want to be able to use the entire universe of Windows apps in those areas where there just aren’t any for the Mac (for example, I also run the update software for my car’s Escort radar/laser detector in Parallels, as Escort does not make ANY Mac compatible apps). Solves a lot of problems for the Windows To Mac conversion pilgrim!

Good luck with your project. Obviously you’ve got to find your Quicken data file on that dead Dell. My Quicken 2011 saves its active file under (username)Documents/Quicken folder/.QDF file, but I’m not sure if you’re 2006 did the same. They did change their format of file naming every so often. Once you find your Quicken data file, you can import it right into your Quicken program running on your Mac (under Parallels) and you’re in business!

Comment by Anonymous — Dec 16th 2011 @ 10:11 am
  3. Guys, don’t pay for Parallels. Virtualbox does Seamless mode and it’s free. I use it on my Mac all of the time. I recommend it to our customers all of the time

Comment by Anonymous — Dec 16th 2011 @ 10:18 am
  4. Thanks to everyone who weighed in on this issue. Very helpful and much appreciated! My real issue now is (1) how to locate and get those Quicken files off of the old Dell (without a working monitor), and (2) how to load them on to the new iMac. That is going to be a real challenge. Anyone have any thoughts on how I can access and locate those files on the Dell and then import them onto the new Mac?

Comment by Anonymous — Dec 16th 2011 @ 11:31 am
  5. Rob, Willyip and anyone else. I have always been a Mac person and probably always will but after trying all the Mac financial programs that I had hoped would be as good or better than Mac Quicken 2007 I went to Quicken 2012 for Windows. I added Parallels 7 and I was amazed at how easy Windows and Quicken run. I was not successful in transferring my Quicken Mac data to Quicken for Windows so I just decided to start new. I like being able to make a fresh start. The other thing this solved was the lame scanning software for Lion. I now use Windows to scan. I’m glad I did it and for anyone coming from Windows to Mac it makes since to run Windows on your Mac so you can still use your Windows software. For those who don’t want to do this I hope you find a Mac financial program that will work for you.

Comment by Anonymous — Dec 16th 2011 @ 11:34 am
  6. Rob: if it’s just your monitor that’s dead, maybe you can view the screen output through the VGA or DVI port, IF it has one. On the other hand, if your whole video card is dead, those ports probably are too. You can shop on the internet (google on topics like “rescue hard drive” “save data from dead computer”, etc. for a device that will let you take the hard drive you remove from your dead Dell and plug it in, through a usb port, to another computer that can then read the files on the drive from the Dell. Be sure that you first know exactly (from Dell or there will be references on the sites you find from your search) WHAT hard drive (make, size, connector) you have in your Dell. Then purchase the correct adaptor to usb, open your Dell and extract the drive and plug it in. I have done this to “rescue” the data from a dying Toshiba laptop and it worked like a charm. You can even sometimes do it from a failing drive IF you get the drive out while it’s still running and not too corrupted. Basically, if the Apple Store guys, “transferred” data from your Dell to your new Apple, that’s what they did, in-situ so to speak. They may well have gotten your Quicken data file over to the Mac (or they may not have)—it should have been in your username documents and settings, in a folder named “Quicken” I think. You can do a global file search on your Mac for a file named “.q**” and see what files with an extension starting with Q you have.

BTW, Jared, thanks for the tip about “Virtualbox.” I went to their website: very interesting. For the technically inclined with the time to learn it, that is probably a great way to get to a Windows VM on your Mac. Like all freeware, the support will be kind of “do-it-yourself” but the documentation is impressive. Since finding that you can get Parallels Desktop 7 for $42 on Amazon, I would still say that it an attractive option, since I have found Parallels support to be extremely fast and professional (for “tweaks” and features….haven’t had any real problems) and for the estimated 2 year life of the software, $21/yr. isn’t bad for professional support and warranty, if you don’t have the kind of hobbyist time that keeping freeware going can consume. Still, having Oracle behind it makes Virtualbox a formidable competitor to Parallels for sure.

Comment by Anonymous — Dec 16th 2011 @ 12:10 pm
  7. Trying from phone

If dead Dell a laptop may work with external monitor

If desktop video cards really cheap

Also visit macsales.com / OWC to connect drive from your dell after taking out

Will enable read on mac

F info: pd $294 for 15″ Toshiba win 7

Comment by Anonymous — Dec 16th 2011 @ 12:15 pm
  8. Wow. Great advice here. Thanks so much. If you use Parallels or VirtualBox to run Quicken for Windows (any version) on your Mac, do you need to then install any type of PC/MS Windows type malware or antivirus software on the Mac to “protect” your Windows programs from viruses, etc.?

Comment by Anonymous — Dec 16th 2011 @ 12:27 pm
  9. I just use the free Avast. Works fine.

Comment by Anonymous — Dec 16th 2011 @ 12:42 pm
  10. Rob –

While I understand only the virtual windows install stands to be corrupted by virus and malware, that would be bad enough. Simply use the free Microsoft Security Essentials available all Win Versions beginning with XP.

If you install Bootcamp, and Windows, you’re running a Windows computer on Windows hardware (though Apple branded). The Bootcamp partition can be attacked.

If you try CrossoverMac, (or other Wine installs) they are susceptible to viruses and can load them into the Mac itself. (per the Codeweaver’s site, developers of Crossover)

I was unable to get Quicken 2010 to run with all features in Parallels until I installed Windows and Quicken into Bootcamp, then had Parallels “read” the Bootcamp partition to virtualize it. THAT resulted in my computer having the Virtualized Windows & the Bootcamp Windows, both needing updates, and problems with Microsoft’s update service.

Those issues, and kruft on my Mac, is why I recommend buying an inexpensive Windows machine if you’re going to run Quicken for Windows. The $294 I paid for the new 15″ Toshiba laptop running Win 7 was a bargain, and less hassle than virtualizing. Not sure how cheaply Windows machines can be had as of Dec 2011, but pretty cheap.

$259 at Best Buy!

Comment by Anonymous — Dec 16th 2011 @ 6:32 pm
  11. Thanks again to all of you. I am starting to lean your way, George. Virtualizing seems to be somewhat of a hassle. That may be best way to go (or just start over with iBank or SEE Finance).

But if I go with a cheap laptop then what is the best way for me to get the Quicken files off of the dead Dell and onto the new laptop?

Comment by Anonymous — Dec 16th 2011 @ 7:53 pm
  12. Rob, up in #156 are some specific suggestions.

How dead is dead? If your Del’s Hard Drive is irretrievably deceased, you’re just out of luck unless you want to buy and try or pay a geek shop to run SpnRite and try to recover it, bit by bit.

But if your Dell is a desktop with slots, you can install a new video card.

If your Dell is a laptop and the backlight has burned out, an external monitor should plug in and let you get your stuff off. Been there, done that. In fact, used the old HP laptop for more than a year with a dead screen, but connected to a working external monitor.

If you can rip the hard drive out of whatever it is, OWC “MacSales.com” offers enclosures, “toasters,” and simple cables that will let you mount the drive and chase its data. If the drive works. If the drive doesn’t work, and its data is precious, SpinRite might fix it. That’s a program.

Backup, backup, backup!

Comment by Anonymous — Dec 16th 2011 @ 8:52 pm
  13. Rob, you stated a while ago, I think, that the Apple store transferred files over to your Mac already. Are you sure that they didn’t do the Quicken data already? It seems arbitrary to me that they would have transferred data from your hard drive and intentionally left out the Quicken file. If for some reason they only transferred stuff that would work on the Mac out of the box, perhaps you could coerce them into transferring the rest of the files just for the sake of completeness? If they didn’t transfer it already and they won’t do it now, then you will need to see about getting the hard drive from the Dell hooked in to your Mac. And perhaps the Apple store can give you some advice.

Comment by Anonymous — Dec 17th 2011 @ 1:55 pm
  14. I just tried exporting from Quicken 2007 and importing into Quicken 2012 running under Crossover and it didn’t work. I’ve seen several comments about how importing into Quicken for Windows doesn’t really work. Is that really true?

Running Quicken under Windows is a solution I really want to test out and would love any suggestions / advice to enable that to happen (beyond the comment I read that said, “just start over” ). I’ve got almost 20 years of data that I would like to continue to interact with and use.

Thanks!

Michael

Comment by Anonymous — Dec 21st 2011 @ 4:25 pm
  15. Michael,

I suggested “just start over” because that’s the best way to do it.

Twenty years of data? Really? It is hard to imagine needing twenty years of financial data, though keeping basis and depreciation records is important. But you sure don’t need twenty years worth of utility bills.

Crossover is not a good solution.

If you’re really wanting to run Quicken on a Mac, install Win 7 on a Boot Camp partition and run Quicken there. It will work fine.

But you’d really be better off running Quicken on a cheap Windows stand alone box. $300 or less at Best Buy, and you can use your Mac to control its screen.

If you want to run a Mac, you’ll just have to suck it up. Either get Snow Leopard and run Quicken 2007, or adjust to one of the Mac programs (iBank) that is a pale substitute for Quicken.

Comment by Anonymous — Dec 21st 2011 @ 8:44 pm
  16. Looks like Intuit is finally stepping up to the plate to resolve this: http://quicken.intuit.com/support/help/lion-compatible-quicken-for-mac-2007/GEN83769.html

Woohoo, we get to stay imprisoned in an outdated 4-year old program for a few years more!

Comment by Anonymous — Dec 22nd 2011 @ 2:45 pm
  17. I don’t have a problem with Crossover – and it’s currently running Quicken 2012 just fine. What I’m having a problem with is importing my data – which I’d really like to do. I guess you can say I’m attached.

AND, I’m willing to be a slave to Intuit a little longer (even though it does disappoint me to no end that they aren’t investing in updating the Mac version). Quicken 2007 does exactly what I want it to do – everything from investments, to loans, to paying bills and managing a number of checking accounts. It’s been great exporting to TurboTax as well (I’ve done my taxes myself all these years). So Neil’s comment makes me happy. I’ll wait out the Lion version of Quicken 2007 and then upgrade to Lion.

Thanks again.

Comment by Anonymous — Dec 23rd 2011 @ 5:41 pm
  18. Michael,

I converted to Quicken for Mac from Quicken for Windows version ’98.

At that time, Quicken for Windows would both read and write QIF files, so I was able to export QIF from Windows and import them into Mac.

It was not simple because Windows Quicken ’98 and the version of Mac Quicken I had did not “line up exactly,” so the conversion was not seamless.

Here’s a link to the Intuit instructions on how to do the conversion:

Good luck.

Comment by Anonymous — Dec 24th 2011 @ 7:27 pm
  19. Haven’t slogged through all the posts on this thread, so, sorry, if my $0.02 is repetitive.

Started the New Year hoping to switch over from Quicken Premier to a Mac solution. Downloaded both GNUCash and iBank.

GNUCash, interesting product. Relatively easy to setup, except when it came to investment accounts. Some trial and error to finally get those to work correctly. Two big issues, for me, 1) investment account transactions, especially splits involved for each transaction, was cumbersome and hit or miss on getting the transaction to enter correctly. 2) The stock quote downloading program would not load: Lion missing some pieces of expected software. One piece was the latest Xcode apparently, but looking at the other messages, looked like it might be more (and stuff that Apple has deprecated), but did not investigate any further due to didn’t see GNUCash being a good replacement (ease of use being big issue since I don’t want to spend lots of time doing things that happen quickly/easily in Quicken).

iBank came oh-so-close. Got it setup and running easily and quickly. Issues for me was relatively poor (for me) reporting, particularly tax reporting and transactions. Specifically, after much playing around, could not figure out how I can properly record/report an IRA recharacterization to a ROTH: I could not find a way to record the taxable distribution (ie. duplicate Quicken’s enabling an account to trigger a tax event when money goes in/out of the account).

So, will be sticking around on Quicken on Windows for this year, especially since last I looked, Amazon Downloader does not work on Lion, so I have an additional need for Windows (VMWare Fusion for the record for my VM software).

Comment by Anonymous — Jan 9th 2012 @ 11:07 am
  20. Thank you all for being my Support Group! As we say in the South, I AM FIT TO BE TIED

Been using Quicken since 1995, and on the Mac since 2007. To say I am frustrated and angry is an understatement. I hope Intuit goes under! Can anyone say Class Action? To put Quicken Essentials on the market was the stupidest move I have ever seen a company make. Abandoned their customers!!!

I am literally stuck because I am hooked on Quicken Bill Pay and cannot pay my bills right now. This seamless and free interface with my bank to pay my bills through Quicken was amazing. I even forgot that I was using something called Bill Pay.

My iMac was pronounced dead and I had to buy a new one with Lion. What a shock when I converted to Quicken Essentials and most of my scheduled transaction and Payee information is just plain gone. Unimportant things like addresses, account numbers, phone numbers…Quicken support offers no remedy and literally told me that I shouldn’t have bought Essentials, Well there is a solution fellas! Why didn’t I think of that!

None of the options sound right for me. I cannot fix my old computer to get my payee information. I am not going to load another operating system on my new computer. I am not going to spend the money to buy a used Mac to run Quicken 2007. If I move to Quicken 2012 for the PC, none of my scheduled transactions or reminders will convert. I cannot set up online banking through my bank until all of my outstanding Quicken Bill Pay checks have been sent — 10 days from now.

Why would Quicken do this? They knew Lion was coming as their CEO has been on Apple’s board for ages. Is it to make me pay $9.95/month for Quicken Bill Pay? That is all I can figure. When the new Lion compatible Quicken comes out, will Bill Pay be part of it? I doubt it.

So to pay my bills, I will write checks for a while then switch to online banking. In the meantime, I am printing what I need for taxes out of Quicken Essentials before I return it.

So the bite — how do I keep myself from being in this position again? Will the alternative programs be around? Is the CEO of Intuit going to keep his deathbed promise to Bill Gates that they will develop a REAL Mac version of Quicken? Do I succumb and wait for Intuit to release the software they have promised — and use it to just be able to access my data? Forget about Bill Pay?

Anyone have any ideas?

Comment by Anonymous — Feb 7th 2012 @ 7:24 pm
  21. KT –

1. So do you have backups? If you have backups, you could go someone else’s SN computer with Qkn 2007 and run your stuff.

2. Even if you don’t want to upgrade from Lion back to the better Snow Leopard (presuming the new Mac you bought even would), you might be able to install SN to Dual Boot on an External HD and run Quicken from that.

3. If all you’re worried about in the future is never losing any data, forget it. I have file drawers full of useless backups. Floppies, tapes, even hard drives, filled with data that won’t mount on any contemporary computer, or even if mounted, run on any contemporary software.

Quicken’s proprietary formats just don’t translate to other software.

My wife works for HAL 9000, and in the past worked for other large corporations, including one which set up a massive data vault in a salt mine deep beneath Kansas. The data was on mainframe tape reels, and as disk packs replaced reels, had to be transformed to the packs, then later to PDP type servers, then Win servers, then Apache . . . It is never-ending.

Quicken Essentials is a sad joke. But its very limited capability gives a fair preview of how Apple’s new “sandboxed” App-Store-Only software is going to work.

In the meantime, if you do know someone with a SN Mac, even if you have to install your version of Q 2007, take your back up file over, and print reports of all your data, then paste in Excel, and also print it to PDF. You can print lists from Q 2007, and one way or another (including creating a fake bank account and writing checks just to print out your Quicken memorized addresses (use plain paper!), you can get all your data out.

Then HOPE, since you seem committed to Lion, that the promised spring adaptation of Q 2007 to Lion appears and works right.,

Comment by Anonymous — Feb 7th 2012 @ 9:10 pm
  22. George,

Thanks for your input. I have Time Machine backups of everything and that is not the problem. Other than Quicken, I have no problems with Lion.

Apple support and tech teams have essentially said that this new MacBookPro is locked into Lion — true or not true. I woke up with the idea of creating an external hard drive using the relatively new one from my old computer (disabled by the expensive to replace logic board). Apple Tech Support says that Lion on this laptop will not permit another operating system to pass through it.

Guess I am digging in my heels…swimming upstream. You are right that I need to get everything out of Quicken into a format that I know will be around in some form. I am already in the process of setting up all of the payee info in Excel — which tech support remind me was originally an Apple product.

And I don’t need all of that history, but it is really great to have those saved reports when my husband makes broad statements about how we spent our money.

I guess the answer is to use online banking and download the transactions into “something” on my computer. Just can’t count on Quicken anymore! (or I could it I weren’t digging in my heels)

Comment by Anonymous — Feb 7th 2012 @ 11:17 pm
  23. KT –

Sounds like you have it covered. If you have a “late 2011” MacBook Pro Apple apparently changed it just enough to deny your ability to run SL.

I’ve been using iBank for my personal stuff. My local credit union offers free online bill pay. Enter the payee, they mail the check and pay the stamp. I set up a “small” account just for that, and have as many bills auto-charged to it as possible. With the big computer in the sky keeping all my payees, all I do is download from the credit union to iBank, and iBank fills in many of the details I used to laboriously post in Quicken.

For work, I need Quicken’s reports, and thus at work we have several Macs, all on Snow Leopard. We will NOT upgrade to Lion unless the new Quicken promised this spring works at least as well as Q 2007. And even then probably will just ride our existing Macs out on SL until they expire from old age.

Comment by Anonymous — Feb 8th 2012 @ 12:41 am
  24. Virtually every response above says the same thing. Intuit has failed us – they have built up our confidence over the years to slap us in the face with this non-support of the Mac even with Intuit having someone on the Apple board. Quicken 2007 has done everything I have needed for over 20 years. I have backup files going back to 1990 (all updated to Quicken 2007). I spoke with Scott Cook at a funeral in 2008 and mentioned that I was not real happy about Intuit was going with Quicken. He got very uptight but we were unable to continue that conversation because of where we were. What is Intuit thinking. Well, they have certainly changed their business model and we, the disgruntled customers need to do something about it. In the installation disk for Quicken 98 in 1998 they stated the following:

“Fifteen years ago, Quicken began as one idea: a way for people like you to simplify finances. From the start we listened to your ideas, suggestions, and comments. Which is how that first idea now reflects those of over 10 million people who trust their money to Quicken.

“”‘ Do right by our customers’ as am Intuit value we live by in our daily interactions with you.

“We know we’ve succeeded in doing right when all of our customers feel that they have benefited from their association with us.”

Well, we no longer feel that we have benefited! Not continuing to make Quicken backward compatible has caused many of us to lose data. Taking away capability is letting us hung out to dry. It seems to me that there is a legal issue here. Someone mentioned a possible Class Action suit – this is one of those times when litigation seems appropriate. We.ve been set up. – JEB

Comment by Anonymous — Feb 26th 2012 @ 2:17 am
  25. Love the quotes.

I borrowed a friends old mac and loaded Quicken 2007 on it. I finally bit the bullet and set up online banking and I hate to admit that I like it. But I had Quicken wired and it worked just fine.

Anyone know anything from Intuit?

Comment by Anonymous — Mar 6th 2012 @ 10:50 pm
  26. Hi, in case you have not seen it yet, Intuit has released a lion friendly version. I have not tried it yet, still trying to decide if I want to give Intuit any more of my money. A friend has loaded it on their laptop with SL and on their iMac with Lion and says it works fine on both.

I’ll be interested to hear what others have to say.. is it any different than the previous 2007? Or is the only difference is that it will run on Lion? I have not read that much yet, just wanted to share the link here.

goldogmom

Comment by Anonymous — Mar 9th 2012 @ 10:12 pm
  27. Quicken 2007 for Lion has been released for download (or, possibly, even CD delivery) on the Intuit site.

I have downloaded the $14.99 program and successfully installed it on my Lion 2011 MacBook Air.

In a VERY BRIEF test it worked fine. Generated memorized reports.

When it loaded it notified me that some “Menu Bar Actions Buttons” not included in the new version were deleted from the file. I checked but did not find a file or FAQ discussing what is and isn’t included in the new version, or how it differs.

Purchase link: http://quicken.intuit.com/personal-finance-software/quicken-2007-osx-lion.jsp

Comment by Anonymous — Mar 10th 2012 @ 12:56 pm
  28. Intuit has just released a version of Quicken 2007 that is compatible with Lion. It can be purchased for $14.99 at this address:

I’m sticking with SEE, but for others, this should come as welcome, if delayed, relief.

Comment by Anonymous — Mar 11th 2012 @ 7:39 pm
  29. Hey – I’ve loaded the new Quicken 2007 and I’m good to go. It runs the same on Snow Leopard and Lion so far. Note that “George from Tulsa” commented about, “’Menu Bar Actions Buttons’ not included in the new version were deleted from the file.” I got this same message so I did a one-to-one check between SL and Lion’s toolbars. The Lion version no longer has the following toolbar tools: BankRates, Debt Plan, Deduct, MyFinance and Retire. The rest are the same. I, personally, have never used any of these tools and will not miss them. I’m just happy now that I can get my wife back to work doing her charge account entries on her Lion based iMac!! A THANK YOU to Intuit but you really were a very bad boy, Scott Cook, for letting this happen!

Comment by Anonymous — Mar 20th 2012 @ 1:21 pm
  30. For the record – I just tested the following: If your old file is opened by the new 2012 version of Quicken 2007, will you be able to open it up again and use it in your Old 2007 version of Quicken 2007?” My test was using the new 2012 version on Snow Leopard and the answer is YES. However, what if I open an old file on Lion with the new version, will I be able to open THAT file back on SL using the old Quicken 2007? … stand by (as if you will have to wait!) … The answer is YES, I could open a file in the Old Quicken 2007 on SL after it had been opened and modified by the new 2012 version on Lion. All modifications were there.
    I certainly hope that Intuit learns a lesson from this. I would hope that they continue to support a program called Quicken 2007 in the future because Quicken Essentials sucks! There are a lot of us out here that will be glad to pay $12 to $20 a year just to make sure Quicken 2007 will run on our computers and on new operating systems and keep Quicken 2007’s capabilities AS IS!!! WE DO NOT NEED ANY NEW BELLS AND WHISTLES, INTUIT! IF ANYTHING, YOUR BELLS AND WHISTLES DO NOTHING MORE THAT SLOW THINGS DOWN, ACCOUNTING PRINCIPLES ARE NOT CHANGING – SUPPORT US!

Comment by Anonymous — Mar 20th 2012 @ 2:02 pm
  31. Jim comments that he is willing to pay $12-20 a year… is the fee they are charging a yearly charge? The old software was one you bought and only paid again if you wanted to upgrade. I’ll go check intuit, but I’d like to know if anyone knows if they are now charging a yearly fee.

Michelle

Comment by Anonymous — Mar 20th 2012 @ 9:31 pm
  32. Michelle … there was an “IF” implied in the front of that statement/question. I said, “There are a lot of us out here that will be glad to pay $12 to $20 a year just to make sure Quicken 2007 will run on our computers and on new operating systems and keep Quicken 2007’s capabilities AS IS!!!” … Quicken does NOT do that right now for Quicken 2007. I’m suggesting that they DO continue to support Quicken 2007 AS IS – just make sure that it runs on our current machines and new OS’s. That’s what I would be willing to pay $12 to $20 for. I’m sure that Intuit would recognize this as a reasonable business proposition if enough of us asked for a subscription service to insure that “the logic and backward compatibility” stays the same.
    Thanks for caring … JEB

Comment by Anonymous — Mar 21st 2012 @ 10:51 am
  33. Way up in the chain I commented about Intuit’s business model.

Intuit makes a lot of money (maybe most of its Quicken and Quickbooks money) by charging banks and brokers to use Intuit’s proprietary direct connections and download formats.

Intuit forces changes in Quicken and Quickbooks to earn money from selling programs to users, and to protect its hold on bank / broker connection and download formats.

Intuit killed the utility of QIF in Windows a long time ago. The reason wasn’t that QIF didn’t work right. It was that QIF was not truly proprietary. Banks & brokers could format downloads in QIF format without paying Intuit. I had figured out myself how to generate good QIF files using MS Word Mail Merge, so it wasn’t a big deal. Serious developers offered nice QIF add-ons, and other personal finance programs could simply import and export QIF files to lure over Quicken’s customers.

I’m not sure why Intuit didin’t kill Mac QIF. Maybe the market was just too small, or the QIF option was the only way to migrate to and from Windows for “switchers.”

What I do know is that it isn’t possible in Windows to do the kind of file export / import / merge we Mac QKN users still can.

Intuit’s interest differs from ours. We want useful, cost-effective, software that meets our needs. Intuit wants us — but not as happy customers, as revenue streams.

A nice idea that Intuit would preserve Mac Quicken “as is,” for which I, too would subscribe.

But it is as hopeless as thinking Apple will start issuing security updates for your PowerPC Macs relegated to Panther, Tiger, or Leopard.

Take that shiny and fragile iPhone out of the coffin sized protective Mophie Juice case with extra battery. See any way to replace the battery? Of course not. When the battery is dead, you’ll toss the phone, pay $200 for a new “battery” (wrapped in a shiny new phone), and commit to another two year contract at about $1,200 a year.

You’ll do it for Apple’s bottom line. Why not Intuit’s

Comment by Anonymous — Mar 21st 2012 @ 12:25 pm
  34. Thanks for clarifying what you meant Jim. I do not completely agree as far as even suggesting we would pay $20 a year for them to keep it current. We bought Q 2007 originally and expected them to keep it working until they updated it. We didn’t have to pay each year, and frankly I don’t like that idea. we bought the software and I’d rather hold the stance that they should keep the software updating as other software makers do. I am not saying Intuit will do this, but I think it is reasonable to suggest. I am in many ways surprised that they just made 2007 work with Lion and did not take the opportunity to call it Quicken 2012 for the mac. They could have. But I digress.

If intuit did suggest we pay $20 a year to use their software, I would definitely not use it. As I think George mentioned, they make money via the financial institutions, who make money off of us. The least they can do is provide reasonably priced software to allow us to interact with what little money they leave us.

😉

Comment by Anonymous — Mar 21st 2012 @ 9:04 pm
  35. So after making do on a friend’s older mac and using my bank’s online banking, I am back on Quicken for Mac. I really thought I would not be so old that I couldn’t do like the youngsters and pay my bills online directly through the bank. Not a total disaster, but several costly mistakes and overdrafts.

So I swallowed my pride and upgraded to 16.1.1 for Lion. What a relief to know my finances are back under my control, kind of. I will never trust Intuit to keep me safe again.

One glitch — duplicate online transfers that didn’t go through are stuck in my outbox and I cannot delete them. I had the problem occasionally with the old version, but from what I can tell Intuit doesn’t have a fix yet.

While there are 2 ways to enter your bank password, only one works like in the old quicken which is why the transfers are stuck. And I have no idea if these are phantom or real, so I am worried that I will screw up my accounts.

Any other warnings?

And may the farce not be with us forever!

Comment by Anonymous — Apr 9th 2012 @ 12:02 pm
  36. PS – the transfers are to pay off the credit card for the overdrafts, interest and fees!

Comment by Anonymous — Apr 9th 2012 @ 12:08 pm
  37. KT !

Including those I manage at work, I have eight online BANK accounts at four banks, and multiple online broker accounts.

I have found the banks’ own website “online bill pay” work great. It is a (fairly) simply matter to enter your payee and their address, then direct the bank to write the check. They even pay the postage.

On the back end, I download transactions in CSV format to Excel. Since during the time Quicken seemed destined for the scrap heap I bought iBank, I’ve found that iBank does a superb job of importing and categorizing the OFX files all my institutions offer. At present, I’m using iBank to collect and categorize the downloads, then entering into my historical Qkn files just the summaries.

Each of the banks (but not the brokers) I’m using also provide links to actually view deposit tickets and checks paid. Very handy. I capture those and save them in a file. (Some banks print tiny copies on statements, one doesn’t).

Seriously, I can’t imagine relying on Intuit to pipeline my transactions through a bank. Tried it once years ago and it was a real kludge.

Shift your online banking to the bank’s browser based websites, and you should find it working better for you. Just be sure whether your bank subtracts your payments when entered or when cleared. One of mine subtracts them immediately, another waits until they clear, which could lead someone not paying close attention to think they have more $ than they do.

Comment by Anonymous — Apr 9th 2012 @ 12:39 pm
  38. Thanks George. I have been using Quicken BillPay at no charge through my bank for years. When I tried the banks bill pay, as you describe, it simply did not work for me.

Comment by Anonymous — Apr 9th 2012 @ 1:11 pm
  39. I use Quickbooks online. For a long while, after having given up on the cheesy Quicken for Mac, I used Excel. To get it to do some of the stuff I used routinely before I switched over to the Mac environment required more expertise than I care to learn, but I stumbled along.

Then got a new accountant, who preferred to have clients use Quicken. Never heard of Crossover or Fusion; didn’t want to buy a cheap Windows machine solely for bookkeeping. So went to QB online for both business and personal books: it’s great, because the accountant can access it, too. Simplified and cut the cost of tax prep. Cost is not bad and is deductible.

Comment by Anonymous — May 17th 2012 @ 9:05 pm
  40. Awesome! Its truly awesome piece of writing, I have got much clear idea concerning from this article.

Comment by Anonymous — May 21st 2013 @ 8:17 pm
  41. I personally prefer Quicken Intuit however I’ve read some excellent reviews on Mac OS. I will try to see if it’s worth switching. Great post.

Comment by Anonymous — Feb 4th 2014 @ 7:06 am