When Will I Get My Tax Refund?

When Will I Get My Tax Refund?

Every year around this time I get inundated with questions from people wondering when they’ll receive their tax refund. If you’ve been wondering about this, then be sure to check out the “Where’s My Refund?” tool on the IRS website*.

To use the tool, you’ll need your Social Security number, your filing status, and the whole dollar amount of your expected refund. From there, it’s just a matter of plugging in the numbers and clicking submit. Assuming that they’ve processed your return – and that you entered the right info – your refund status should pop out. Note that you can check on your return 72 hours after filing if you e-filed, whereas you’ll have to wait 3-4 weeks to check the status if you filed a paper return.

In our case, I met with our tax guy for a final review last Thursday and he e-filed our return shortly thereafter. As of yesterday, the IRS is reporting that we should receive our refund – our first tax refund in several years – no later than April 19, 2011.

*Note: If you have an iPhone or iPod Touch, “there’s an app for that.” It’s called IRS2go, and it’s little more than a front end for the “Where’s My Refund?” tool. Regardless, it gives you the ability to check on your refund on the go.

Published on April 7th, 2011 - 10 Comments
Filed under: Taxes

1. I had mine in my checking account 7 weeks ago. Why so slow Nickel? BTW: I hope the impending government shutdown doesn’t delay your refund.

Comment by Anonymous — Apr 7th 2011 @ 1:25 pm
  2. Why all the tax “refund” talk. Don’t most people do estimates in July and adjust their withholding for the next six months. Why “loan” the gooberment your money ? ? ? ?

Comment by Anonymous — Apr 7th 2011 @ 1:34 pm
  3. IRS2go is also on Android. I enjoyed having access to it when waiting for my (quite meager) refund back in Feb.

Comment by Anonymous — Apr 7th 2011 @ 2:29 pm
  4. You might want to let your readers know that if the Federal government shuts down like its threatening to do this week, one of the many side effects will be delayed tax returns.

And from what I can tell, no one can say *how* delayed.

Comment by Anonymous — Apr 7th 2011 @ 3:58 pm
  5. Refunds will be delayed if the government shuts down.

I have had several friends say how helpful the IRS is on their helpline these days.

Just curious if anyone has dealt with them lately and what was their experience-have they gone to the Ritz Carlton school of customer service?

Comment by Anonymous — Apr 8th 2011 @ 7:01 am
  6. This is a sore topic in our household, as I suspect it is with anyone else that received the 2008/09 first time home buyer credit. All these returns need to be handled manually as the IRS had not completed coding by this tax filing season. Frustrating.

Comment by Anonymous — Apr 8th 2011 @ 8:58 am
  7. Doc) I did call the IRS a couple of times while doing my return — very short wait time, very professional and knowledgeable staff.

Comment by Anonymous — Apr 8th 2011 @ 12:46 pm
  8. @BG, thanks for the info. Customer service is rare in bureaucracies-so good to hear! The least they can do considering the complexity of the tax code.

Comment by Anonymous — Apr 8th 2011 @ 6:59 pm
  9. i file my tax return on feb nineth and its now may twenty fourth and no refund?why??

Comment by Anonymous — May 24th 2011 @ 3:39 pm
  10. I filed my state return with H&R Block back on January 28th have not received it has of yet ( today’s date June 6, 2012 ) I have gone the website the information says it’s up for review….I have not received any letter from the state telling me that there was a problem also H & R Block told me if there was anything wrong with the return they would have been told about it.So here it is already June and nothing, what should I do?

Comment by Anonymous — Jun 6th 2012 @ 6:32 pm