Bank Deal: Earn 1.00% APY on an FDIC-insured savings account at Barclays Bank.
While on a recent business trip, I witnessed something that made my jaw drop. I was standing at the hotel registration desk when I heard someone say “See, this is why I don’t need any more cards.” I turned to look and saw an older woman showing her pocketbook to two kids – possibly her grandchildren?
Anyway, I just got a quick look, but a conservative estimate would be that she was carrying at least thirty credit cards, though I’m pretty sure it was more. I was shocked. Who could possibly need (or want) that many credit cards? Sure, there might have been an ATM card or some debit cards mixed in, but still. Wow.
As for me, I regularly carry three credit cards:
- Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express
- Chase Freedom®
- Citi Simplicity® Card
My primary cards are the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express, backed up by the Citi Simplicity® Card MasterCard in case I run into a merchant that doesn’t accept American Express. Keeping at least one MasterCard account open is handy, because Sam’s Club doesn’t accept Visa (or American Express).
I also have an Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express that I used regularly before I got the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express, though I don’t carry that one around with me.
What about you?
How many credit cards do you have? What’s the breakdown between open accounts and those that you actually use? Which are your favorites, and why?
- How to Become a Millionaire
- How to Get Out of Debt
- The Best Dollars I've Ever Spent
- How Our Estate Plan is Structured
- How We Paid Our Mortgage In Less than 10 Years
- Money Making Ideas
- How to Manage Your Asset Allocation with Multiple Accounts
- Consumption Smoothing - Save While the Saving's Good
- How to Save on Groceries
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need?
- Eleven Great Books About Money
- Dave Ramsey is Bad at Math (692)
- Dish Network Customer Service SUCKS (534)
- $8,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (429)
- Pay Off Mortgage Early or Invest? (424)
- How to Claim the First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit (352)
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor (325)
- How Much Should You Pay a Babysitter? (284)
- Ethanol Blended Gas = Lower Mileage? (272)
- Reduced Credit Limits? Share Your Experience (256)
- $15,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (242)
- Buying Furniture off the Back of a Truck (227)
- Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007? (191)