Bank Deal: Earn 1.00% APY on an FDIC-insured savings account at Barclays Bank.
I recently ran across a post by sometimes-FCN-guest-poster Richard Barrington over at Money Rates. In it, he talked about ways to overcome the general lack of savings that is threatening the retirement dreams of many Baby Boomers.
You can read the full article on Baby Boomer Retirement for more details, but here are his six tips:
- Work longer
- Diversify your investments
- Use laddering to manage interest rate risk
- Save on bank fees
- Actively shop for the best rates
- Monitor your progress
To these, I would add that you should consider making deep spending cuts to allow for an increase in your savings rate. When combined with working longer, this will give you the best chance of digging yourself out of your retirement savings hole.
Obviously, diversifying your investments, seeking out the best rates, etc. also have their place, but those things will only get you so far. You really need to ramp up your savings rate and/or save for longer (thereby shortening your retirement) if you want to make a meaningful dent in the problem.
- How to Become a Millionaire
- How to Get Out of Debt
- The Best Dollars I've Ever Spent
- How Our Estate Plan is Structured
- How We Paid Our Mortgage In Less than 10 Years
- Money Making Ideas
- How to Manage Your Asset Allocation with Multiple Accounts
- Consumption Smoothing - Save While the Saving's Good
- How to Save on Groceries
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need?
- Eleven Great Books About Money
- Dave Ramsey is Bad at Math (692)
- Dish Network Customer Service SUCKS (534)
- $8,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (429)
- Pay Off Mortgage Early or Invest? (424)
- How to Claim the First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit (352)
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor (325)
- How Much Should You Pay a Babysitter? (284)
- Ethanol Blended Gas = Lower Mileage? (272)
- Reduced Credit Limits? Share Your Experience (256)
- $15,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (242)
- Buying Furniture off the Back of a Truck (228)
- Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007? (191)