Bank Deal: Earn 1.00% APY on an FDIC-insured savings account at Barclays Bank.
As a followup to my recent article about paying sales tax for online purchases, I wanted to highlight an interesting article from last summer that a reader named Heather pointed out in the comments section.
In short, Arizona has added a dedicated line to their state tax returns for taxpayers to reporting unpaid use taxes. This isn’t a huge deal in itself, but… According to a local tax pro named Ellen Campbell, the AZ Department of Revenue has been advising taxpayers that anyone who fails to report something on that line will be subject to an income tax audit.
Whether or not this is true remains to be seen, but it’s hard to imagine trying to enforce something like this. Perhaps it will raise your odds of an audit, especially if you fit certain other criteria (e.g., income above a certain threshold), but auditing every single return that fails to report use tax? Seem unlikely, but… Never say never.
Regardless, this is just more evidence that states are getting serious about collecting unpaid sales and use taxes.
- How to Become a Millionaire
- How to Get Out of Debt
- The Best Dollars I've Ever Spent
- How Our Estate Plan is Structured
- How We Paid Our Mortgage In Less than 10 Years
- Money Making Ideas
- How to Manage Your Asset Allocation with Multiple Accounts
- Consumption Smoothing - Save While the Saving's Good
- How to Save on Groceries
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need?
- Eleven Great Books About Money
- Dave Ramsey is Bad at Math (693)
- Dish Network Customer Service SUCKS (536)
- $8,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (429)
- Pay Off Mortgage Early or Invest? (424)
- How to Claim the First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit (352)
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor (329)
- How Much Should You Pay a Babysitter? (286)
- Ethanol Blended Gas = Lower Mileage? (272)
- Reduced Credit Limits? Share Your Experience (256)
- $15,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (242)
- Buying Furniture off the Back of a Truck (236)
- Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007? (191)