Bank Deal: Earn 1.00% APY on an FDIC-insured savings account at Barclays Bank.
In case you haven’t heard, the S&P 500 closed the year at 1257.60 this past Friday. That’s just a hair down from the 2010 closing price of 1257.64 — essentially even in the grand scheme of things.
Despite the flat performance overall, the past year was anything but uneventful. Don’t believe me? Check out the graph below.
After some nice gains during the first half of the year, Congress managed to cook up a crisis which resulted in a US credit downgrade and dramatic losses stock market losses. From that point forward, the market gradually regained its footing, though it was far from a smooth recovery.
Of course, the above numbers ignore dividend reinvestment. After account for dividends, the market (as measured by the S&P 500) returned something close to 2% for the year. Not great, especially given the volatility, but better than nothing.
Through it all, I managed to do a good bit of tax loss harvesting on the equity side, and we also benefited nicely from our bond holdings (Total Bond Market [VBMFX] and TIPS [VIPSX]), which account for roughly 40% of our total portfolio.
With that as a backdrop, I though it would be fun to run a poll asking for 2012 stock market predictions…
If you’d like to make a guess as to the specific closing price at the end of 2012, please do so in the comments section (but please also select a poll choice). You won’t win anything but bragging rights if you get ir right, but hey…
Bragging is kinda fun. 😉
Note: E-mail and RSS subscribers may need to click through for the poll to work.
- How to Become a Millionaire
- How to Get Out of Debt
- The Best Dollars I've Ever Spent
- How Our Estate Plan is Structured
- How We Paid Our Mortgage In Less than 10 Years
- Money Making Ideas
- How to Manage Your Asset Allocation with Multiple Accounts
- Consumption Smoothing - Save While the Saving's Good
- How to Save on Groceries
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need?
- Eleven Great Books About Money
- Dave Ramsey is Bad at Math (692)
- Dish Network Customer Service SUCKS (534)
- $8,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (429)
- Pay Off Mortgage Early or Invest? (424)
- How to Claim the First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit (352)
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor (325)
- How Much Should You Pay a Babysitter? (284)
- Ethanol Blended Gas = Lower Mileage? (272)
- Reduced Credit Limits? Share Your Experience (256)
- $15,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (242)
- Buying Furniture off the Back of a Truck (227)
- Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007? (191)