Bank Deal: Earn 1.00% APY on an FDIC-insured savings account at Barclays Bank.
The other night while on my way home from work, I was reminded of the high cost of convenience. We were in the mood for margaritas, so I stopped by the liquor store to pick up some tequila and mix. As it turns out, they were out of the mix I was after, but I made a mental note of the price.
I then stopped off at the grocery store (a bit out of my way, but not too far) to grab the mix there. When I arrived in the right aisle, I was quite surprised at the price difference… What had been $7.99 at the liquor store was $4.09 at the grocery store. This was for identical items — same brand and same size.
I always assumed that you’d pay a premium to buy the “extras” at the liquor store, but I’d never paid attention to how big the difference was. That extra $3.90 for a bottle of margarita mix equates to a 95% markup at the liquor store vs. the grocery store. Sure, there are instances when it might be worth the added cost, but with a bit of planning you can avoid these extra expenditures most of the time.
Of course, the same can be said of a huge number of items. For example, a gallon of milk costs at least 30% more at our nearest convenience store/gas station as compared to the grocery store. In other words, it (literally) pays to be organized and informed, and to plan ahead.
- How to Become a Millionaire
- How to Get Out of Debt
- The Best Dollars I've Ever Spent
- How Our Estate Plan is Structured
- How We Paid Our Mortgage In Less than 10 Years
- Money Making Ideas
- How to Manage Your Asset Allocation with Multiple Accounts
- Consumption Smoothing - Save While the Saving's Good
- How to Save on Groceries
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need?
- Eleven Great Books About Money
- Dave Ramsey is Bad at Math (692)
- Dish Network Customer Service SUCKS (534)
- $8,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (429)
- Pay Off Mortgage Early or Invest? (424)
- How to Claim the First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit (352)
- Termite Control: Sentricon vs. Termidor (325)
- How Much Should You Pay a Babysitter? (284)
- Ethanol Blended Gas = Lower Mileage? (272)
- Reduced Credit Limits? Share Your Experience (256)
- $15,000 Homebuyer Tax Credit (242)
- Buying Furniture off the Back of a Truck (228)
- Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007? (191)